Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant Hugh James Aitchison, 18th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry My father 12 years 1 day ago #2986

• dougafisher
  • dougafisher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I know that my father joined as a Scottish Volunteer, he was a reserve Lieutenant 6th Volunteer Brigade The Royal Scots from 1895 to 1900. When he joined the Imperial Yeomanry it had to be as a Sergeant, being promoted in the field. However records of what, where and how he did are not available. He stayed in South Africa after the war. Then also served in the 1st World War again as a Lieut, First in East Africa and then France with King Edwards Horse. In between the wars he also served in the Thaba Nuchu Commando in the 1914 Rebellion. In the 2nd World War he was a Captain in the Reserve Brigade from 1940 to 1943. I have his photo album from the Boer War but the photos are small and a bit faded. I would be grateful for any help in obtaining more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lieutenant Hugh James Aitchison, 18th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry My father 12 years 4 hours ago #3002

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4533
dougafisher,

Your father had a long military career and I imagine, as an officer, you have been able to find out a lot about him?

There are attestaion papers for the IY in the National Archives and I imagine this would add a little to the picture.

From the medal rolls, he served with the 18th Btn IY and appears on WO100/127p175 as Lt with clasps CC OFS Tr and Rhodesia. A note says 'Staying with new yeomanry'.

There is a second QSA entry for his on WO127/214. This gives his unit as 70th Company, 18th Btn. There is also a number which may be 12559 - possibly his regimental number?

His KSA with 2 clasps is on WO100/356p75. This roll gives his unit at 18th Btn IY and address as Elsmwood, Loanshead, Midlothian NB.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Lieutenant Hugh James Aitchison, 18th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry My father 11 years 11 months ago #3038

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
If you do not already have them, World War I and World War II service records can be copied in the South African National Defence Force Archives in Pretoria.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: dougafisher

Re: Lieutenant Hugh James Aitchison, 18th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry My father 11 years 11 months ago #3120

• dougafisher
  • dougafisher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Unfortunately the records in U.K. for officers were hit during the Blitz in WW2 and lost, very grateful for your help David, thank you.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds