Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86044

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Andy,

This is his entry so far in the Defence of Mafeking book:

Born in London, England, 14 September 1851. Ensign, 2nd Battalion, Foot 28 October 1871. Sub Lieutenant 1 November 1871. Transferred to the 1st Battalion, 2nd Foot, 13 April 1873. Transferred to the 80th Regiment 4 October 1873. Posted to China 15 October 1873. Posted to the Straits Settlements 11 November 1875. Police duties, Straights Settlement. Served in the Perak War (Medal). Posted home 11 May 1876. Resigned 26 July 1876. Applied for an Inspector's position in the Police Force from Wynberg 6 May 1882. Trade: Clerk in Mafeking. Part of the Railway Division Staff. Won second prize in the cut flowers class at the Agricultural Show to celebrate the 100th day of the siege (MM064, 1 February). Also served MRV (Lieutenant and Adjutant) and SAC (Lieutenant) from 1 April 1901. HQ, SAC, 1 October 1901. Resigned 13 April 1902. QSA issued 24 January 1903. Tr from SAC. SA01 from SAC, issued 16 February 1905. His wife resided at 6 Hereford Mansions, Bayswater, London. He was resident at Milton Cottage, Milton Street, Worthing c 1911. He died in Worthing, 30 April 1913
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lamond10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86071

• Lamond10
  • Lamond10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
[Ref. extracts from More's report]

Thanks so much for this David - this is fantastic. I've been searching everywhere for More's report but have not managed to source it. The next stop was the Jo'burg library which I believe has a copy.

I wondered if you had access to a copy whether it would be possible to provide a photographic copy of the whole report as I'm really keen to know what the Railway Division got up to?

I do love the fact the 'mention in dispatches' in this case is to the General Manager and not a General.

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86072

• Lamond10
  • Lamond10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
[Ref your posting a summary of Walmisley's career above]

This is excellent - will definitely purchase a copy when it is published. I have your previous works. THanks so much for sharing.

Just to say I managed to get copies of his correspondence requesting a pension held in the Cape Town archives thanks to Heather MacAlister who provides research services. I'd be happy to send over to you (although they don't add much detail to what you have above).

Do you know if his QSA is extant? I have his IGS Perak named as a Lieutenant in the 80th Foot.

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86082

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Lamond10,

My plan is to publish More's report on this site and in the next week so that everyone has access to it.
Dr David Biggins

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86083

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Lamond10,

No, I have not noted his QSA, sadly.

There is one other person with an 1854 IGS but no one with Perak and Defence of Mafeking.
Dr David Biggins

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86091

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
More on your man and the Railway division at Mafeking is to be found below

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Lamond10

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.665 seconds