Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 4 years 2 weeks ago #68679

• Lamond10
  • Lamond10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I wondered if anyone could help me with any information about William Henry Walmisley's role in the siege of Mafeking in particular or more generally whether there are any books/diaries of individuals who served in the Railway Division of the Mafeking Town Guard that might shed light on that unit's role?

I understand William Henry Walmisley served as Lieutenant and Adjutant of tthe Railway Division of the Mafeking Town Guard and from a search of this website it seems on at least one occasion he commanded the armoured train in May 1900 - this is from the siege newspaper available on this website - which led me to wonder whether anyone has more information. I see there is a work by Colin Walker (the siege register?) which may contain further information but from a google it doesn't appear widely available.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 4 years 2 weeks ago #68680

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Lamond10
Colin Walker's "Mafeking Siege Register" (ISBN 978-1-905546-2-6) has some detail about Lt. and Adj. William Henry Walmisley of the Railway Division, Mafeking TG. He was given the Hon. rank of Lt. (Siege slip 64) and profession in bank given as District Clerk. There are a few details of his time in Mafeking during the siege in Nurse Craufard's diary. Nothing of great consequence, it seems. I do not know how you would access that diary these days.
I would suggest a check through all available accounts of the Mafeking Siege to see if you can turn something up.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Lamond10

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 4 years 2 weeks ago #68691

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Lamond10,

Colin Walker's book is very hard to find these days so thanks to IL for that information.

The siege slips are a good source of information. I am just about to start going through the General Orders for Mafeking so will net you know if they contains any references.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lamond10

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 4 years 2 weeks ago #68692

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
After Mafeking he served in the South African Constabulary so I would suggest contacting Rhino Research who have been researching the SAC for some time.

rhino-research.co.za/
Dr David Biggins

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 4 years 1 week ago #68703

• Lamond10
  • Lamond10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Many thanks indeed for your replies and suggestions IL and David - it's very much appreciated and very helpful.

I'll try to find a copy of Nurse Craufard's diary and Colin Walker's siege register and otherwise dig around in diaries/accounts as you suggest.

Kind regards,
Andy

William Henry Walmisley - Defence of Mafeking, Lieutenant & Adjutant Railway Div 1 year 6 months ago #86043

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Andy,

He is mentioned several times in More's report on the Railway Division.

Command

In General Orders, dated October 7th, I was appointed Lieutenant Commandant of the Railway Division, with Mr W.H. Walmisley as Sub Commander in charge of B. Company. In General Orders dated November 30th, I was appointed Captain, with Mr W.H. Walmisley and Mr James Buchan as Hon. Lieutenants, and Mr E.J. Layton Hon.Sergeant Major.

Officers

Lieutenant Walmisley’e early training as an Imperial Officer, proved to be of the greatest assistance in organizing such a mixed body of men, and the untiring energy he displayed all through, is deserving of the highest praise, and will I trust meet with suitable recognition from the General Manager.

12 May 1900

Lieut.Walmisley and. his men occupied a fort half a mile to the North and. near the line, and in front of them were a large body of Boers waiting the signal to come in.

17 May 1900

Lieut Walmisley was in charge of the Railway Detachment; the Laager was captured & quantities of provisions brought in.

November 30th 1899.
PROMOTIONS.
Lieut.J.R.More to receive the Honorary rank of Captain, Mr W.H.Walmisley and Mr J.Buchan, to receive the Honorary rank of Lieutenants.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds