TOPIC:

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65314

• Sharpshooter
  • Sharpshooter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I'm trying to find the citations for a number of officers and SNCOs who were awarded a mix of DSO and DCM during the Boer War. I have the names and numbers which I have got from here but am singularly unlucky in trying to find the actual citations. The same goes for Mentions in Dispatches where there are lots of names - most not recorded in my regimental history and I've tracked down a few in the London Gazette but there are still gaps which I'd like to fill. The reason is that I'm writing a Roll of Honour covering the Kent and Sharpshooter Yeomanry regiments and I'd rather not have any gaps in the first chapter! .
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65318

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Welcome Tim...…

Maybe this can help, from the book SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899-1902 MENTIONED IN DESPATCHES by A. MALOYD, 2001

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65327

• Sharpshooter
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi,
Thanks very much for this which is really useful.
A number of Sharpshooters from the 91st Company (21st Bn) were awarded the MiD specifically for the Battle of Tafel Kop. Are they shown separately by any chance under an entry for the 91st Company? Next step is track down the DSO/DCM citations. There was in addition to the three bns mentioned a fourth unit confusingly called the 1st(18th Bn) Sharpshooters. Do they appear anywhere in this book by any chance?
Kind Regards
Tim

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65332

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Tim.....

Here is the 91st..... With regards to the DSO's / DCM's you would need the names..... Also the majority of DCM's had no citation I would say up to 75%...… See here: www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/british/241-dcm

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Sharpshooter

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65401

• Sharpshooter
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Mike,
Sorry for thanking you rather later than planned but I've been under the cosh at work. It was very interesting to see that many DCM holders did not have a citation to support the award. Of the three that I'm seeking I have found only one so far the others are: 15443 SSM S Giles 18th Battalion and 12649 Staff Sgt Major T Jackson 18th Battalion who are the two unnamed awards in the 1905 Regimental History. They do appear in the DCM table but that's it and interestingly they both received MiDs as well. The only other missing one is Lt Col Roger Parke who commanded the 18th Bn and who was awarded the CB . Again no citation for the CB that I can find.
Kind Regards
Tim

18th/21st and 23rd Bns IY Gallantry awards 4 years 7 months ago #65402

• Sharpshooter
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mike,
These extracts are really useful. Do I assume that the 23rd Bn did not get any MiD's or other decorations? There was also a unit (Bn minus) called confusingly the 1st (18th Bn) Sharpshooters as well as an independent company (117th company, 25th Bn) raised by the 3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) IY who were a Home Service regiment raised by the Earl of Dunraven from the 18th/21st and 23rd companies. The 4 squadrons that formed the new regiment were formed from the previous battalions - A Sqn being found from the 18th, B Sqn from the 21st and C Sqn from the 23rd whilst D Sqn were formed from new recruits and other yeomen. The 117th company mentioned earlier was disbanded in country with many of its members staying on there.. All rather confusing but typically Yeomanry!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds