• Page:

TOPIC:

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64521

• Kelly Chase
  • Kelly Chase's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Great Great Grandfather Tweed James Blake Linder has medals and a family story that he was responsible for guarding those detained in the camps. He met his wife to be while she was there. The question is - who did he fight for? I can find no record of him in the British Army at all except for a notation in 1912 while in the Natal Mounteds. I can't find anything - can any one point me in the right direction....actually any direction that bears fruit would be awesome!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64524

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think the first thing you need to do is to look at the medals you mention, which medals are they, do they have any details impressed upon them?

Kelly Chase wrote: My Great Great Grandfather Tweed James Blake Linder has medals and a family story that he was responsible for guarding those detained in the camps. He met his wife to be while she was there. The question is - who did he fight for? I can find no record of him in the British Army at all except for a notation in 1912 while in the Natal Mounteds. I can't find anything - can any one point me in the right direction....actually any direction that bears fruit would be awesome!!

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64526

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Pending the answer to Frank's question, I cannot see an entry on the QSA rolls. There is a Sergeant J B Linder who earned the Natal 1906 (1) medal with the Northern District Mounted Rifles.
Dr David Biggins

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64559

• Kelly Chase
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello and thank you for your reply. I have found, who I think is him - Regt No. 1615 Prince Alfred Volunteer Guards 1899-1902 and it says there he received the QSA and KSA.
-
My reasons for thinking this is him is simply that the only way I find him coming to South Africa is before the commencement of war and he at the time, lists himself as J Linder which was also his father's name (James Blake Linder). The occupation on entry fits as does the timing. I couldn't find him on any UK Army Service list and their record keeping is pretty tight.

I have also found an entry for Trooper J Linder Regt No 3450 enlisted 14.6.00 where it states he was seconded to Kitchener's Horse. But that is the only reference there and I can't find anything on Kitchener's as yet to tie him in.

I have a photograph I will try put up - it is the only picture I have of him with his medals. I am in the process of trying to determine if any of his other descendents in South Africa have his medals.

With many thanks for your help - I'm not sure if these are in any way clear enough to see.
Attachments:

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64560

• Kelly Chase
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello and thank you for your reply. J B Linder in the 1906 Medal Roll is my Great Great Grandad.
Attachments:

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64562

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Picture...…

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds