Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56192

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi

I'm trying to find out more about the South African Mounted Irregular Forces. I have a medal named SAMIF.

Tylden has nothing on them. As far as I can work out they were a composite unit, made of up other units, but they have a roll of their own, so I am not sure.

Does anyone have any details on them please? The closest I can find is Justin's book from long ago but I can't find one for sale.

Thanks for the help.
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56202

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Ryan
Stirling (The Colonials in South Africa) says that "On 21st November, 1901, a body coming under the generic title, South African Irregular Forces, when clearing the enemy from the native districts about Tembuland, lost Captain Elliot killed, Captain Everett and Lts. Baxter and Burmister wounded". Lord Kitchener's despatches for March and June 1902 mention the SAMIF for good services North of Middleberg, Transvaal in February. Stirling lists the SAMIF under "Colonial Defence Force and other Locally Raised troops".
The SAFF casualty list for 1/1/02 to 31/5/02 shows that the unit titles SAMIF had several casualties at Uitspanfontein on 5/2/1902.
Regards
IL.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56203

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Thanks. I have now found that listed under South African Irregular Forces. It is a hint but not much. So it seems they were not a composite of other units, but a strangely named unit of their own.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56206

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Ryan, I am able to add a Two Clasp KSA To this Topic.
9603 S. SJT. E. F. FOX. SAMIF
EDWARD FORTESCUE FOX had prior service in the COLONIAL SCOUTS, S/N 411 and IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE, S/N 738. He enlisted in the ILH as a TPR. In the 1st BTN. On 22 March, 1900 and was discharged on 2 May, 1900 to join the SAMIF. On WO100/276 Fox is shown to be awarded his QSA with C.C., TRANS and RELIEF OF LADYSMITH. However the U.K. Dealer I obtained the KSA from had included a note that the Clasps were RELIEF OF LADYSMITH and NATAL and the QSA was to the COLONIAL SCOUTS. WO100/365 confirms the SA 01 and SA 02 on the KSA.
FOXs Service in the SAMIF is indicated to be with D Sqdn, MOOI RIVER DETATCHMENT.
Generally the exact dates of service in each of the three units is confusing and I have so far been unable to establish them.
I would really like to find FOXs QSA to complete the Pair.
James

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56210

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
James

Since I currently have an interest in the Fox family of Fort Nottingham, I checked to see if Edward Fortesque was one of its members . Although the outcome was inconclusive, you might be interested in a letter written by EF to the Colonial Secretary in Pietermaritzburg that is in the local Archives (CSO/1900/1124). The file description reads:
"Trooper E F Fox, D Squadron, Colonial Scouts. Asks that he and certain others may be transferred to some other irregular corps which is likely to see active service."
He was evidently a man keen to get to grips with the Boers!

Regards
Brett

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56223

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Hi Brett, thank you for the note. And yes I would be interested in the file you quote. But how do I go about accessing it? (Let’s say I am a 79 year old computer novice.) I’m always interested in any bit of info on one of “my” medal recipients.
James

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds