Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some Holliday research 8 years 4 months ago #44387

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
I bought 2 QSAs from a local woman who was 'clearing out' before moving. The medals were fron her late husband's family and she could offer no biographical information.
The first QSA ( Dol/ 01) was to 404 Tpr R Holliday, Natal Carbineers. I gather that his first name was Ralph and the date bar was given for service on the Zululand frontier. His initial mobilisation was on 29/9/1899.
The second QSA ( Rol/Tvl/01) was to Lieut. F Holliday. Colonial Scouts. He later served in the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles and Rand Rifles. i have found him mentioned in the Natal Volunteer Record in connection with him being in charge of a supply convoy from Eshowe which had to get to Babanango for Col. Addison.
Frank Holliday was evidently a good shot as a couple of shooting medallions came with the medals. One of the medallions was awarded by the Malton Rifle Association, which confirmed the origin of a brass title , MRA, which also accompanied the medals.
Can anyone throw some more light on the Hollidays ?
Many thanks
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some Holliday research 8 years 4 months ago #44390

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Mike
Given the time of the year, a nice Holiday/Holliday pun :whistle:
There were two Hollidays in Ladysmith during the siege: Ralph and Rupert (according to Stalker's book - Natal Carbineers). I looked up Lt. F.Holliday in my Colonial Scouts roll (WO 100/242) and his QSA with three bars was issued 3/3/09. RofL, LN (? crosssed out) and Transvaal. Unfortunately, my JMR roll is pretty spotty so cannot add any info re that aspect.
Regards
IL.

Some Holliday research 8 years 4 months ago #44487

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
Thanks for the reply, Linneyl.
I have been told that Frank, in his travels as Lieutenant in 3 Troop, B Squadron Colonial Scouts, blew up a magazine at Nkandla to deny the Boers the ammunition that it contained. I can find no corroboration of this, but it is a good story.
maybe someone can confirm or refute this ?
Regards
Mike

Some Holliday research 8 years 4 months ago #44488

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Mike
The only "NKANDLA" (or similar I can find is "Nkandhla"; mentioned in Vol V of the TH (the index V7 of same is very useful) and associated with the defence of Italia 26/9/1901. Most likely not the same spot. No mention of the JMR or RR around that area either. Still, the "resources denial" aspect is a good story!
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds