The Corps was raised in Cape Town in October 1901 for general service by Major H H Cobbe DSO ISC under the auspices of Colonel Cooper, then Base Commandant. The unit was disbanded three months later in January 1902 by order of Colonel Crewe CB, commanding No 2 Division, Cape Colonial Forces.
Enlistment was for three months. Each member was called out for active service and this gained entitlement to the QSA. Members of A Squadron engaged with the Boers.
The preface to the roll (WO100/263p121a) notes that 'the roll has been compiled with great difficulty from old regimental records, which however do not give the previous service of the Corps members. The majority of the men have however previous service in one or more of the South African Irregular Corps'. The roll was put together by Captain J G Bulwer Clayton, Captain DOEVR, late OC A Squadron, Peninsula Horse, September 1904.
According to the Important Decisions book, 'The Peninsula Horse was formed from the Cape Peninsula Regiment. In January 1902 this unit was disbanded and two squadrons were selected and formed P and Q Special Service Squadrons, with No 2 Division Cape Colonial Forces.'