1900, Warm Baths

WYLLY, GUY GEORGE EGERTON, Lieutenant, was born 17 February 1880, at Hobart, Tasmania, son of Major Edward Arthur Egerton Wylly (109th Regiment and Madras Staff Corps) and Henrietta Mary, daughter of Robert Clerk, (of West Holme, Somerset, and Sergeant-at-Arms to the House of Assembly, Hobart, Tasmania). He was educated at Hutchins' School, Tasmania, and at St Peter's College, Adelaide, South Australia, and became a Lieutenant in the Tasmanian Imperial Bushmen on 26 April, 1900, serving in the South African War; was twice wounded, once slightly and once dangerously; received the Queen's Medal with three clasps, and was awarded the Victoria Cross [London Gazette, 23 November 1900]: "Guy G E Wylly, Lieutenant, Tasmanian Imperial Bushmen. On the 1st September 1900, near Warm Bad, Lieutenant Wylly was with the advanced scouts of a foraging party. They were passing through a narrow gorge, very rocky and thickly wooded, when the enemy in force suddenly opened fire at short range from hidden cover, wounding six out of the party of eight, including Lieutenant Wylly. That officer, seeing that one of his men was badly wounded in the leg, and that his horse was shot, went back to the man's assistance, made him take his (Lieutenant Wylly's) horse, and opened fire from behind a rock to cover the retreat of the others, at the imminent risk of being cut off himself. Colonel T E Hickman, DSO, considers that, the gallant conduct of Lieutenant Wylly saved Corporal Brown from being killed or captured, and that his subsequent action in firing to cover the retreat was 'instrumental in saving others of his men from death or capture'". He was gazetted Second Lieutenant, The Royal Berkshire Regiment , dated 19 May 1900; was transferred and gazetted Second Lieutenant, The South Lancashire Regiment, dated 5 November 1900; joined the 2nd Battalion The South Lancashire Regiment at Jubbulpore, India, 4 December 1901; was transferred to the Indian Army and gazetted to the 46th Punjabis 1 October 1902; transferred to the Queen's Own Corps of Guides 11 February 1904. He was ADC to Lord Kitchener, Commander in Chief in India, from December 1904 to September 1909; officiated as ADC to Lieutenant General Sir James Willcocks, Commanding the Northern Army, India, September 1915 to February 1916; was nominated to the Staff College, Quetta, in 1914, by Sir O'Moore Creagh, Commander-in-Chief in India. He was appointed Staff Captain, Mhow Cavalry Brigade, 11 November 1914; appointed Brigade Major, Mhow Cavalry Brigade, 15 September 1915; appointed GSO2, 4th Division, BEF, 20 June, 1913; appointed GSO2, 3rd Australian Division, 19 July, 1916; appointed GSO2, 1st Anzac Corps, in February 1917. Major Wylly was wounded at Authoille in August 1915; was mentioned in Despatches in June 1916, and June 1917. He had the Delhi Durbar Medal (1911).

Only registered users can post comments