Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to nurses 1 month 4 days ago #83502

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 146

A recent purchase, a rare QSA to a Religious Sister. The medal was converted to a coin at some time. Apart from some damage in the form of shallow cuts to the rim between 12 and 3 o'clock, and the suspender being removed and the hole filled, it is in a very good condition and can be restored to its original state.
I found some biographical information, which was not easy with only Ella to go on.
Ella Bramley was born in Caledon on the 2nd May 1858, her parents were listed on her baptismal certificate as Rev. William and Edith Bramley
She died on the 5th September 1932 at St Michaels Home, Bloemfontein, at the age of 74. The death certificate lists her occupation as Sister of Mercy

During the Boer War, the 8 nuns and 4 civilian nurses at St Michaels Home, as well as the 16 nuns at the Roman Catholic Convent in Bloemfontein administered to the sick especially during the occupation of Bloemfontein and the subsequent typhoid pandemic that followed, which overwhelmed the existing military medical facilities.
Their work was of such a great nature that Lord Roberts saw fit to mention them in his despatch of 16th April 1901.

I have only come across 3 other medals to these Bloemfontein sisters, Sister Frances Mary, Sister Frances Louise (St Michaels Home) and Sister Raphael (Catholic Convent)
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to nurses 1 month 4 days ago #83504

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3143
What a fascinating medal, Jon, and , as you say, readily restorable.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.078 seconds