Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Von Zeppelin, Heinrich. Kaptein 1 year 6 months ago #85910

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Rory, I think you're right - he was re-interred in Heidelberg, one suggestion I have read is that he lived there before the war.
Here's an account of his death, by gunshot, sabre and lance:
"According to witnesses he had received a shot to the head and barely conscious also received a wound when cut by a sabre and stabbed with a lance by the cavalry of the enemy. He survived the night and only died the next day."
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Von Zeppelin, Heinrich. Kaptein 1 year 6 months ago #85911

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Colonel Schiel, who was by Zeppelin's side when he received his mortal wound, wrote:

“Nevertheless, it was great!” were the last words of my Adjutant, the Count Zeppelin, who fell at my side. ….. A shell fragment had inflicted a mortal head wound”.

A more romantic description of his death is given in Rompel 1903 (p. 84):

“Count Zeppelin was killed after firing off all his ammunition and eventually defending himself to the last against the charging Lancers with his whip”.

Another version (Brooklyn Citizen, 14th January 1900):

"Count von Zeppelin rode straight for the British lines armed with a revolver and riding whip, and was at once shot dead. It is extraordinary that any of the corps escaped".

Von Zeppelin, Heinrich. Kaptein 1 year 6 months ago #85915

• Neville_C
I'm not sure why, but Graf Zeppelin's name appears on the Heidelberg Commando memorial .....

Ian Uys mentions the re-interment in his book "Heidelbergers of the Boer War", p. 9, stating that Zeppelin was reburied in the Heidelberg Commando memorial plot. No reason is given for this.

Perplexingly, Uys's index points to the page dealing with the re-interment of eight Heidelbergers that took place on 17 Oct 1903. However, Zeppelin's name is nowhere to be found on that page (p. 234).
The wording on the memorial certainly seems to imply that Zeppelin was one of those reburied on 17 Oct 1903.
Generals Louis Botha, C.R. de Wet, Jan Smuts, J. Kemp, C.H. Muller, P.R. Viljoen, A.H. Alberts and C. Brits were all present at the ceremony.

One of the men, Vdk. Van As, was executed by the British three weeks after the end of hostilities, on 23 June 1902. A few years after the war Van As's father received a letter from the British Government admitting that the conviction of his son had been a miscarriage of justice. The family was therefore able to claim compensation. Van As's father declined to take advantage of this offer.

TOT BLYWENDE NAGEDAGTTENIS VAN
DIE VOLGENDE
HEIDELBERGSE BURGERS:
GENL. CORNELIS JOHANNES SPRUYT,
KOMDT. JOHAN CHRISTIAN KRIEGLER,
VELDK. SALOMON J. VAN AS,
ALFRED UECKERMANN,
JOHANNES LANDSBERG,
JOHANNES ADAM SPRUYT,
HARRA VON ZEPPELIN,
WAT GEDURENDE
DIE TWEEDE VRYHEIDSOORLOG
HULLE LEWE
VIR VADERLAND EN VRYHEID
AFGELÊ HET EN ALHIER OP 17 OKT. 1903 HERBEGRAWE IS
EN VAN
STEFANUS JOHANNES BRONKHORST,
HERMAN NIENHUIS
ELDERS IN DIE KERKHOF BEGRAWE.

JULLE HET DEUR ONTBERING EN LYDING,
JULLE VOLK TOT DIE DOOD TOE GEDIEN;
GOD HET JULLE OFFERS VAN WYDING,
JULLE ROEMRYKE STERWE GESIEN.

OPGERIG DEUR DIE
SENTRALE BURGERGRAFTE-KOMITEE
MET MEDEWERKING VAN DIE
HEIDELBERGSE BURGERGRAFTE-KOMITEE
JAN. 1938.

Attachments:

Von Zeppelin, Heinrich. Kaptein 3 months 2 weeks ago #93503

• Neville_C
This German postcard shows Zeppelin (holding the Vierkleur), as part of a photographic montage. His image has been lifted from a photograph of General Kock and staff, taken shortly before the Battle of Elandslaagte. Note the poorly drawn repositioned right arm.

Burenaufstand / Wir haben es nicht vergessen!

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds