Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 1 week ago #92871

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 768
Robert, post the Vorm B, or close-up details of it, so we can see what is written and what it means. Often things are spelled incorrectly on Vorm Bs.
As regards the Anglo-Boere Oorlogmedalje, there is no way to get an official re-issue from the South African government. You could search online for Anglo-Boere Oorlogmedalje or for ABO medal, and you will see several for sale at dealers in various countries. Typically about Euros 250 to 450.
e.g. www.bobshop.co.za/item/599009609/ANGLO_B...uyQRzoRoC21IQAvD_BwE
There are also regular auctions in which they come up. Most will be named to another burgher, but in a display frame this would not be visible. Rarely you can come across an un-named one which you could leave blank or could get engraved with your oupa's name.
There was also a replica made for the centenary of the War, eg www.bobshop.co.za/item/578977265/Full_Si...al_1999_to_2002.html

Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roberto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 1 week ago #92914

• roberto
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Mij grandfather A. de Leeuw was born october 3rd, 1874 and went to SA 1897 as telegrafist with the SARailways in Roode Poort
My father was born may 7th, 1910 in Amsterdam and I was born may 21st, 1949 (I am now 74 :)

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 1 week ago #92915

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 768
It's not clear to me whether your oupa was a telegraphist with the commandos or with the railways - the Vorm B might indicate this.
The life of a Boer telegraphist on commando can be read here: WITH STEYN AND DE WET
BY
PHILIP PIENAAR
OF THE TRANSVAAL TELEGRAPH SERVICE

www.gutenberg.org/files/15224/15224-h/15224-h.htm
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roberto

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 1 week ago #92916

• roberto
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Somewhere in my files I have a listing with the railways, including a salary, registered at Roode Poort. He was a burger. I hope you can read dutch, it is a transcription of the Vorm B. Na het uitbreken van den oorlog, werd ik dadelijk aangewezen voor den telegraaf dienst bij de Z.A.S.M. en heb ik dienst gedaan op het station Dannhauser ( zuid van Newcastle) ± 7 maanden. Toen het leger uit Natal moest terugtrekken, heb ik in Vereeniging burgerwacht gedaan zijde Viljoensdrift (vlakbij Vereeniging, zuid van Johannisburg))***. Toen het leger ook vandaar moest terugtrekken, heb ik voor Generaal Botha in Meyerton, eerste station voor (Oost van Vereeniging) Vereeniging, op het station telegrammen geseind omdat er geen veldtelegraaf was. Daarna ben ik in Boksburg (Oost van Johannisburg) gevangen genomen en als undesirable met de Admiraal Castle naar Holland gestuurd.

*** Asser heeft ook in Roode Poort gewerkt, (Noord-west van Johannesburg)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 1 week ago #92917

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 274
Does this help:

After the outbreak of the war, I was immediately assigned to the telegraph service at the Z.A.S.M. and I served at Dannhauser station (south of Newcastle) for approximately 7 months. When the army had to withdraw from Natal, I did civil guard duty in Vereeniging on the Viljoensdrift side (near Vereeniging, south of Johannisburg))***. When the army also had to withdraw from there, I sent telegrams for General Botha in Meyerton, the first station before (East of Vereeniging) Vereeniging, at the station because there was no field telegraph. Afterwards I was captured in Boksburg (East of Johannisburg) and sent to Holland as an undesirable with the Admiral Castle.

*** also worked in Roode Poort, (North-west of Johannesburg)
Speak my name so that I may live again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, roberto

De Leeuw, A. Burger 5 months 5 days ago #92939

• roberto
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks! As a Boer telegraphist for the Railways (most probably)

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds