TOPIC:

Belmont 7 years 2 months ago #52002

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
From the last Lockdale's sale.

QSA (1) Belmont (9595 Sjt. J. Melican Scots Gds.) John Melican came from Dungarvan, Waterford. He served in the 3rd Bn. and single bar is confirmed on the roll. Hammer £140
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Belmont 6 years 10 months ago #54112

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Liverpool Medals

QSA (1) (8714 Pte M. Carty, 1st Battalion Scots Guards)

Killed in Action at during the Battle of Belmont on 23rd November 1899.

With presumably his Son’s British War Medal & Victory Medal pair, 201295 Pte H.J. Carty, Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Also period newspaper cutting regarding his death, Q.S.A. near mint and dark toned, the Pair also in unworn condition.

A very rare and emotive Belmont Casualty during the First Guards Brigade action of the war, the Battalion having only arrived the week earlier.

Michael Carty was a reservist, brought into the Army for the Boer War, eager to serve his country with his job back home in England awaiting his safe return and his Wife and two children, The Scots Guards were ready for war and were inspected by the Prince of Wales at Chelsea Barracks on 16th October 1899, having entraing at Nine Elm Station they embarked on the Nubia and arrived 3 weeks later in Cape Town, South Africa on 13th November.

A newspaper cutting describes him well;
“A READING MAN KILLED AT BELMONT

Amongst the soldiers who fell in the battle of Belmont on Nov 23, when Lord Methuen’s Brigade defeated the Boers, was Private M. Carty (8714) of the 1st Scots Guards. Carty lived at 21, Surrey-place, Caversham, and was employed at the G.W.R. Works. He Leaves a widow and two children. He was a man of fine physique, and when called upon to rejoin the colours he expressed pleasure on learning that his place at the G.W.R. Works would be kept vacant for him.”

A great and decisive victory for the British, the Battle of Belmont caused few casualties in their defeat of the Boers, sadly Pte Carty was one of 10 men from the 1st Battalion Scots Guards to be killed in action, out of total of 52 men from the Army, comprising of 4 Officers and 48 N.C.O.’s and other ranks.

The total casualties to the Force being 52 men Killed, 240 Wounded and 2 Missing in Action.

During the Boer War, the 1st Battalion Scots Guards had 33 N.C.O.’s and Men killed in action, Michael Carty on of the 33, with 43 died from disease and 78 wounded in action, they also lost 2 Officers to disease and had 6 wounded in action.

Upon arriving in South Africa the 1st Battalion Scots Guards as part of the Guards Brigade was swiftly on the war path to relieve Kimberley, headed by Lieutenant General Lord Methuen, Scots Guards.

They started off on 21st November, only two days later engaged at Belmont, The Guards Brigade were sent by Methuen on a Night March to outflank the Boers as they sat atop the Belmont Kopje, ready to be assaulted, although the maps were faulty and the Guards instead found themselves right in front of the Boers.

At 2am on 23rd November, the Battalion paraded and advanced to the rendezvous point at 3:15am.

The Battalion then launched its attack on Spur Hill, near Belmont around 4 a.m.

Near the top of the hill, they confronted a fierce Boers opposition holding the top, they fixed bayonet for a last push and took the hill, taking numerous casualties including Pte Carty.

Price: £995.00
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Belmont 6 years 10 months ago #54330

• seanmiller
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. I know this is a very old post but John Miller was my great grandfather..I am his great grandson Sean..a New Zealander as my grandfather and John's son, John William Miller ( Jack), who was 2 years old when John died on the Cressy moved out to New Zealand in the 1920's. I am living in the UK at the moment and only learnt the beginning of this year that his service medals were auctioned in 2008. I have contacted the auction house concerned and they have contacted the purchaser to let them know that I wish to purchase the medals but to no avail so far. It would mean so much to me and to the rest of my family to have his medals back with us... his premature death in 1914 changed so many lives and we all, as his surviving direct relatives, still think of him and his sacrifice. If anyone could help me to find the purchaser and allow me the opportunity to at least make them a more generous offer to purchase them back, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you all.

Belmont 6 years 9 months ago #54572

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Liverpool Medals January 1998

Private J. E. Coldrick, Royal Marines, H.M.S. Powerful, Wounded Graspan 21/11/1899 – L320

Liverpool Medals February 1996

Private R. Taylor, Northptn. Regiment – L95

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Belmont 6 years 4 months ago #56730

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) Belmont (549 Pte. S. Wyers, Cldstm: Gds:)

Stephen Wyers was born in Birmingham and attested for the Coldstream Guards in London on 10 July 1896, having previously served in the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He served with the Coldstream Guards in South Africa during the Boer War, and was killed in action at the battle of Belmont on 23 November 1899. British casualties at Belmont amounted to 53 killed and more than 200 wounded.

£750.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Belmont 6 years 3 months ago #57125

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I was sceptical about the QSA when I saw the picture but the roll does confirm the single clasp.

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1895 (3) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Samana 1897, Tirah 1897-98 (2993 Pte. C. Warner. 1-North’n R.);
QSA (1) Belm (2993 Pte. C. Warner. 2-North’n R.);
KSA (2) (2993 Pte. C. Warner. 2-North’n. R.)

All slightly later issues with Great War period impressed naming.

Charles Warner was born in Northampton in 1870, and attested for the Northamptonshire Regiment on 21 January 1891, having previously served in the 4th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment (Militia). He served with the 1st Battalion in the Straits Settlements from 18 December 1891 to 13 November 1892, and then in India from 14 November 1892 until 15 January 1899. Transferring to the Army Reserve on 20 January 1899, he was recalled to the Colours on 9 October 1899 following the outbreak of the Boer War, and served with the 2nd Battalion in South Africa from 21 October 1899 until 20 August 1902. He was discharged on 20 January 1903, after 12 years’ service.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds