Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Welch Fusiliers Regimental Museum, Caernarfon 6 years 10 months ago #53846

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay, well yes, their 2nd Battalion, famous, for the epic march to the legations, their is a fine display of medals to those particular men, the displays are quite good, I certainly like the good solid stairs and flooring throughout too.

I suppose my favourite exhibit was the very pretty little FN Model 1900 that was once the property of a certain young subaltern of the regiment, by the name of Siegfried Sassoon, if only it could talk, however, we must be very thankful he did not use it for the purpose, that he is said, to have actually bought it for in the first place.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Welch Fusiliers Regimental Museum, Caernarfon 6 years 10 months ago #53848

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
Regarding your comment about British and American troops fighting on the same side in China, it is interesting to see - in the 12th pic of your RWF series - a 6mm Lee M1895 "Cam-pull" rifle mounted below the Union flag. An extremely uncommon rifle these days. The M1895 Lee was carried by the US Marines and USN in Cuba and China and apparently found to be a little fragile for active service.
A very good series of pics. I particularly liked the nonchalant pose of the Fusilier in the Boer War display.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Royal Welch Fusiliers Regimental Museum, Caernarfon 6 years 10 months ago #53860

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
I should add that paying for admission to the castle also gets you free admission to the museum. £8.95 for an adult! £5.80 for a senior citizen! What a tremendous bargain, plus Caernarfon town centre is a great place to spend some time. My only complaint was that the record store hadn't opened by 11:40 a.m. and I had to give it a miss.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds