Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 year 5 months ago #88618

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4638
That is an excellent acquisition, Adrian.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 month 3 weeks ago #95717

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

SAGS (0) C/1562. Corpl. F. K. Tull. A.S. Corps);
QSA (2) Natal, Transvaal (Lieut: & Q.M. F. K. Tull. A.S.C.);
[ KSA (2) ]

Frank Kellow Tull was born in 1858 and attested for the Army Service Corps, serving with them in South Africa during both the Zulu War and the First Boer War. Present at the Defence of Potchefstroom, he was wounded in the neck by gunfire at daybreak on 26 December 1880, and was mentioned in a despatch by the Deputy Assistant Commissary-General at Potchefstroom, W. A. Dunne, to the Commissary-General, South Africa, on 28 March 1881:

‘I wish to especially mentioned Sergeant A. H. Freeman and Corporal F. K. Tull. I cannot speak too highly of these two non-commissioned officers... Corporal Tull I have always found to be excellent in his conduct, expert at his work, and most painstaking in the performance of his duties. He has been of great assistance to me. I beg to recommend these two non-commissioned officers to our favourable notice.’

Tull served in the ranks for 13 years and 289 days, and as a Warrant Officer for 8 years and 59 days, before being commissioned Lieutenant (Quartermaster) on 25 May 1898. He saw further service in South Africa during the Second Boer War, and was present during operations in Natal in 1899 to 1900, and then in the Transvaal, from January 1901 to 31 May 1902. He retired with the rank of Captain.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 month 2 weeks ago #95806

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of Noonan's

SAGS (1) 1879 (1553. Pte. R. Ayres. 94th. Foot.)

Richard Ayres served with the 94th Regiment of Foot (later 2nd Battalion, Connaught Rangers) in South Africa from February 1879, including operations against the Zulu and Sekukini, and in the Transvaal during the First Boer War, where the regiment was heavily involved at the sieges of Lydenburg and Standerton.

Ayres was killed in action at Bronkhorstspruit on 20 December 1880. On this date, ‘Lieutenant-Colonel Anstruther of the 94th Regiment with 9 officers and 254 other ranks was marching from Lydenburg to Pretoria when he was ambushed 37 miles from his objective at Bronkhorst Spruit. He had been informed of the Boer rising and warned against being surprised, but even so the Boers’ tactics were of doubtful fairness since it was by no means certain that a state of war existed. The straggling columns of wagons was halted by a few Boers in an exposed spot, the Colonel was handed a proclamation ordering him to turn back; he was given only two minutes to reply, and when he refused fire was opened at once. The Boer leader, Joubert, had concealed about a thousand men in excellent firing positions, clearly expecting a refusal. The action lasted less than half an hour and amounted to a massacre.’ (Victorian Military Campaigns refers).

The 94th Foot suffered 54 killed in action, 21 died of wounds and 77 wounded in this action, as well as many taken prisoner.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 month 2 weeks ago #95814

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

SAGS (1) 1879 (2037. Cr. Sergt. J. Hardwick. 2-21st. Foot.);
Army LS&GC VR, 3rd issue, small letter reverse (2037. Cr. Sergt. J. Hardwick. R. Sco: Fus:);
Army Meritorious Service Medal GV, 1st issue (S. Mjr. J. Hardwick. R. Sc: Fus:)

Together with a silver shooting medal, the reverse engraved ‘A.Y.R M.H. Rifle Club, Sergt. Major J. Hardwick, R.S.F. 1885.’

Joseph Harwick served with the 21st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots Fusiliers) in South Africa, and was slightly wounded at Zwartkoppies on 5 January 1881, during the Siege of Pretoria. On this date, a force of 462 men from the besieged garrison attacked a Boer laager in a bend of the Pienaars river; 2 Boers were killed, 3 wounded, and 15 taken prisoner, on the only occasion during the siege when an attack was pushed to a successful conclusion, but the cost to the garrison was high - 6 men dead and 12 wounded, with the Boers inflicting more than three times their own losses on the attackers.

Hardwick was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, together with an annuity of £10, per Army Order 114 of 1920, and died in 1922.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 month 1 week ago #95865

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

SAGS (1) no clasp (29/1770. Sgt. R. Anderson. 58th. Foot.)

Robert Anderson served with the 58th Regiment of Foot in South Africa, and was killed in action at Laing’s Nek on 28 January 1881. On this date, having led his Natal Field Force, comprising 1,400 men, an 80-strong Naval brigade, artillery and Gatling guns, to a strategic pass in the hills on the Natal-Transvaal border called Laing’s Nek, Major-General Sir George Pomeroy Colley attempted with cavalry and infantry attacks to break through the Boer positions on the Drakensberg mountain range to relieve their garrisons. The British were repelled with heavy losses by the Boers under the command of Piet Joubert; of the 480 British troops who made the charges, 150 never returned. Furthermore, sharp-shooting Boers had killed or wounded many senior officers.

Total British casualties were 84 killed and 113 wounded, with the bulk of these suffered by the 58th Regiment of Foot, who lost 74 killed and 101 wounded, around a third of their total strength. Boer losses were 14 killed and 27 wounded. For his gallantry in bringing casualties down from the hillside, Lieutenant Alan Hill, 58th Foot, was awarded the Victoria Cross. This was also the last occasion that a British regiment took its Colours into action; with heavy casualties, four officers in succession were shot down whilst carrying both the Regimental and the Queen’s Colour.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 1 month 1 week ago #95866

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

SAGS (1) 1879 (3079. Pte. G. Bull. 3/60th. Foot.) fitted with an elaborate engraved rifle inscribed ‘Bull, G.W.’, and an elaborate engraved top riband brooch bar inscribed ‘Died in the Battle of Ingogo South Africa Feby. 8th. 1881’

George Bull served with the 3rd Battalion, 60th Rifles (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) in South Africa, and was killed in action at Ingogo River on 8 February 1881, during the First Boer War.

The following extract is taken from Rifleman and Hussar by Colonel Sir Percival Marling, V.C., C.B.:

‘About 2.30 p.m. Sir George Colley sent Captain McGregor, R.E., to Colonel Ashburnham with a message that he was to send a company of the 60th Rifles out to the left, as he thought the Boers were going to rush the position. Colonel Ashburnham pointed out to the Staff Officer that ‘I’ Company were the only reserve he had, and asked would not half a company be sufficient. The Staff Officer replied “My orders are, sir, from the General, that you are to send a company, and if you will let me have them I will show you where to go.” This company, ‘I’, was commanded by Lieutenant Garrett, the other subaltern being Lieutenant Beaumont. The Staff Officer, Captain McGregor, went out with them, mounted. There is no doubt that he took them farther than he should have done. Captain McGregor, R.E., was himself killed. It was inevitable, considering the mark he presented. ‘I’ Company and the Boers were now only about 50 yards apart. Garrett was killed quite early, and every man in the company except 9 was either killed or wounded. Nothing could have been more gallant than their behaviour, many of them being quite young soldiers.’

Casualties in the 3/60th at Ingogo River amounted to 4 officers and 61 other ranks killed or died of wounds, a few of whom were drowned. A further 2 officers and 53 other ranks were wounded.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds