Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13593

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
The Palmer roll shows Trimnell as being POW at Rensburg on 14021900 2 Wilts. No notation re later death. Azyeoman does not cite any reference source to back up his post 13574. I know that mistakes did sometimes happen with the award of the KSA and I amongst others, have illustrated a few in this forum. However, the award of a KSA with date bars would clearly be impossible if the "recipient" had died prior to it's qualification dates.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13594

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Trimnell did die while a soldier but in 1914 - 26 October, still serving as 5232 Wilts Rgt.

He is on CWGC as Trimmell.

Unfortunately no papers appear to exist to help with his ABW service and the KSA.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13596

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
Both medals are correct. 5232 Pte A Trimnell was serving in either D or G Companies on the 14th of February 1900, when he was taken Prisoner at Rensburg. He was held at Watervaal until the 6th of June 1900. He did not die there, only two Wiltshire Regiment soldiers No 3860 Pte J. Amor and No 2874 Pte E. Harding died whilst in Watervaal. He rejoined the regiment and continued to serve until the end of the war, when he moved to the 1st Battalion in India. He was awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal with the CC, OFS and TV clasps and the King’s South Africa Medal with both South Africa 1901 and 1902 clasps. Incidentally, a note on the KSA Medal Roll states “To the 1st Battalion” and the Rifles Museum hold two photographs of him taken in India in 1905. Strangely Meurig, when I searched the CWGC website, I could not find him. The original post refers to a Medal Sales website, who have definitely got their facts wrong.

Regards
Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13598

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Ian,
What is exact KSA roll, page and volume?
Regards Frank

Ians1900 wrote: Both medals are correct. 5232 Pte A Trimnell was serving in either D or G Companies on the 14th of February 1900, when he was taken Prisoner at Rensburg. He was held at Watervaal until the 6th of June 1900. He did not die there, only two Wiltshire Regiment soldiers No 3860 Pte J. Amor and No 2874 Pte E. Harding died whilst in Watervaal. He rejoined the regiment and continued to serve until the end of the war, when he moved to the 1st Battalion in India. He was awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal with the CC, OFS and TV clasps and the King’s South Africa Medal with both South Africa 1901 and 1902 clasps. Incidentally, a note on the KSA Medal Roll states “To the 1st Battalion” and the Rifles Museum hold two photographs of him taken in India in 1905. Strangely Meurig, when I searched the CWGC website, I could not find him. The original post refers to a Medal Sales website, who have definitely got their facts wrong.

Regards
Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13599

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Ian

He is on CWGC as Trimmell. MIC has Trimnell as per ABW records.

Yes, that blurb is from on a dealer's website. :S

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13600

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
Hello Frank,

The reference you asked for is: KSA Medal Roll - WO100/340 page 88 and for those interested the QSA Medal Roll reference is: WO100/197 page 275 of the whole document or page 92 (Handwritten – top right hand corner) of the pages relating to The Wiltshire Regiment.

Meurig,

Thank you, now I see him. So Trimnell continued to serve with the 1st Battalion and the War Diary entry regarding his death (One of 20 killed that day, but not mentioned by name) can be found on the Rifles Museum website by following this link:
www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries/detail/9825

When I come across stories of soldiers who have survived one war and in Trimnell’s case, also a period of time as a Prisoner of War and then served in yet another war, only to be killed, I find the stories so poignant.

My Great Grandfather served with Trimnell, and was also captured at Rensburg and held in Watervaal; it was a hell-hole where the men were forced to eat their own lice and anything else that looked remotely edible. There is a post on this website about the release of the prisoners, which turned into a mammoth posting and unfortunately lots of work for David: #10863.

Regards to all
Ian

Time to create page: 0.418 seconds