Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72176

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi

Is there a database of British POWs as I am trying to establish who Pte C Shorrock was?

The following appeared in a locate newspaper in Feb 1900 (sorry but I forgot to record the name of the newspaper). Any help will be appreciated?

Regards, Tony

A Darwen Soldier Captured

Private C Shorrock, a member of the No 3 Section Mounted Infantry, 2nd East Lancashire Regiment, who has just completed six years’ service in the army, has conveyed the information to his wife at Darwen that he is a prisoner in the hands of the Boers. The following is an extract from the letter which was written at Bloemfontein on December 14th:

“I am prisoner of war, and am at Bloemfontein. We are being treated very well by our captors. Anything we want they give to us, so I think I cannot wish for anything better. I believe wo go to Pretoria to-morrow. I think I am having a good look round Africa. I want you to keep your heart up. Don’t go fretting about me never coming home again. They will let me come home again when the trouble is over, and I don’t care how soon that comes. It was at the battle of Stormberg that I was captured. You cannot answer this letter, I believe, but when I have the chance I will write again.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72177

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would think this was 4613 Private Christoper Shorrock, who had been a serving Militiaman in the 3rd East Lancashire Regiment upon joining the Army, the East Lancashire Regiment Depot on the 11th of Januaruary 1894, he was then a nineteen year old labourer, he was from Darwen and he did go on to gain his Mounted Infantry certificate on the 22nd of October 1893 at Aldershot.
WO97 suggests he served in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion, but, the issue is the dates shown for service in South Africa as well as his medal entitlement, which is contradictory, as is the fact he gives his next of kin as his siblings rather than that of his wife.

familyhistory wrote: Hi

Is there a database of British POWs as I am trying to establish who Pte C Shorrock was?

The following appeared in a locate newspaper in Feb 1900 (sorry but I forgot to record the name of the newspaper). Any help will be appreciated?

Regards, Tony

A Darwen Soldier Captured

Private C Shorrock, a member of the No 3 Section Mounted Infantry, 2nd East Lancashire Regiment, who has just completed six years’ service in the army, has conveyed the information to his wife at Darwen that he is a prisoner in the hands of the Boers. The following is an extract from the letter which was written at Bloemfontein on December 14th:

“I am prisoner of war, and am at Bloemfontein. We are being treated very well by our captors. Anything we want they give to us, so I think I cannot wish for anything better. I believe wo go to Pretoria to-morrow. I think I am having a good look round Africa. I want you to keep your heart up. Don’t go fretting about me never coming home again. They will let me come home again when the trouble is over, and I don’t care how soon that comes. It was at the battle of Stormberg that I was captured. You cannot answer this letter, I believe, but when I have the chance I will write again.”

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72178

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
Frank & familyhistory - This is a strange one as his papers show arriving in South Africa from Burma only a matter of weeks before the end of the war. However, the transcription of his ABW record (with the name Shorrocks) on Findmypast shows him taken POW at Stormberg 10/12/1899 and released at Waterval 6/6/1900.

David

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72179

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Tony
There was one "4613 Pte. C. Sharrocks " of 1st Bn., East Lancs. Regt who, according to SAFF, was taken prisoner at Stormberg on 10/12/1900. The info comes from the section of SAFF dealing with the dates 11/10/1899 and 20/3/1900 and I think a mistake was made somewhere in compilation and the date of his capture was 10/2/1900.
Regards
IL.

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72180

• Frank Kelley
Indeed, both the contradictory WO97 and WO100 confirm a KSA, the latter as 4613 Private Shorrocks serving in the 1st Battalion.

davidh wrote: Frank & familyhistory - This is a strange one as his papers show arriving in South Africa from Burma only a matter of weeks before the end of the war. However, the transcription of his ABW record (with the name Shorrocks) on Findmypast shows him taken POW at Stormberg 10/12/1899 and released at Waterval 6/6/1900.

David

POW: Pte C Shorrock 3 years 5 months ago #72181

• Frank Kelley
I'm inclined to suggest an error in WO97 has taken place and the Statement of Service is not true and correct, moreover, he was unmarried upon joining the Army and I would think details of a marriage have simply not been added.

LinneyI wrote: Tony
There was one "4613 Pte. C. Sharrocks " of 1st Bn., East Lancs. Regt who, according to SAFF, was taken prisoner at Stormberg on 10/12/1900. The info comes from the section of SAFF dealing with the dates 11/10/1899 and 20/3/1900 and I think a mistake was made somewhere in compilation and the date of his capture was 10/2/1900.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds