Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

5231 Pte. I. H. Hazzard 2nd Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #42435

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 330
Is there any indication on the papers you've shown that he was PoW?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5231 Pte. J. H. Hazzard 2nd Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #42436

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 955
No, you would certainly not expect to see that on British Army papers for the Anglo Boer War.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

5231 Pte. I. H. Hazzard 2nd Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 8 years 10 months ago #42773

• azyeoman
There's no doubt about Frank that this man is Isaac Henry. Thank you for setting the records straight. I sincerely appreciate it very much! :)

5231 Pte. I. H. Hazzard 2nd Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 8 years 10 months ago #42776

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 955
Well, I'd be happy with them in my own collection, at the end of the day, as already mentioned, I came into your thread not in any way to actually criticise, the medals are very clearly as issued and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with them, the fellow who operated the impressing machine was merely human and humans make mistakes, good medals!
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

5231 Pte. I. H. Hazzard 2Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 2 years 10 months ago #78524

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 197
Hello everyone,

I was interested to see this post about Isaac Henry Hazzard. Many years ago when conducting research I happened to receive a telephone call from a man called George, who is the Grandson of this man.

He was trying to find out information about his Grandfather and two of his brothers Meshach and John. John had kept a diary and Isaac had given his son Isaac a middle name of Rensburg. Isaac Rensburg Hazzard served with the Wiltshire's in WW2.

So, what is now known as The Rifles Museum, Salisbury has on its website a Militia Directory which lists these three brothers as members of the 3rd Militia Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment.

I thought I'd add some more information:

In total there were five Hazzard brothers, plus one sister and one half-sister and one half-brother, all born in the village of Woodford, Wiltshire, to Charles Hazzard, a Boot Maker and his wife Eliza. She already had an elder daughter called Elizabeth Osgood and an elder son called Herbert Osgood.

The Hazzard brothers were William George born in 1868, John Hale born in 1873, Meshach born in 1875, Isaac Henry born in 1877 and Sidney born in 1880; their other sister Sarah Jane was born in 1871.

1. William George Hazzard was a Shepherd; he died in 1903.

2. Sarah Jane Hazzard married a William Madgett Culver and had one child.

3. John Hale Hazzard married a girl called Fanny Swatton in 1899, and had four children, born in 1900, 1902, 1903 and 1910 respectively, which despite a diary being attributed to John, indicates that he did not serve in South Africa himself, which is supported by there being no record of him for the period that the regiment spent there. He spent his life working as a Postmaster in Wiltshire and died in 1945.

4. Meshach Hazzard married Elizabeth Jane Sleeman in 1908, and three children born in 1908, 1910 and 1912 respectively. He served in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment with a service number of 4542 and was not with D or G Companies at Rensburg. His QSA medal clasps are recorded as CC, OFS and TV, which are the usual ones seen for regular soldiers of this regiment, with the exception of those who served with the Mounted Infantry who were entitled to a greater number.

5. Isaac Henry Hazzard, the subject of this topic, married Prudence Dear in 1907 and had two sons born in 1911 and 1919 respectively. Isaac Rensburg mentioned above was born in 1911.

He served in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment with a service number of 5231 and was a member of either D or G Companies, because as we all know it was these two companies who were taken prisoner at Rensburg on Valentine's Day 1900. His QSA medal clasps are recorded as CC, OFS and TV. After the war Isaac Henry Hazzard spent his life working as a Groom/Gardener. I have noted this discrepancy of recording Isaac Henry as ‘T’ Hazzard before. Isaac Henry Hazzard died in 1953.

6. Sidney Hazzard served in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment with a service number of 5629, attached from the 3rd Wiltshire’s and was not with D or G Companies at Rensburg. His QSA medal claps are recorded as WT, CC and TV. He married Constance Pamela Pearce in 1906, had four children and spent his life working as a farm labourer. He died in 1956.

There is one final piece of information regarding Isaac Henry Hazzard. My own Great Grandfather was 3629 Pte John Heath, D Company, 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment, who was also taken prisoner at Rensburg. I know from my Grandfather that during the war John Heath had a pal called Hazzard, whom he was imprisoned with at Watervaal. By no means ‘concrete’ evidence, but there is a possibility that Isaac Henry Hazzard was also with D Company.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1

5231 Pte. I. H. Hazzard 2Bn. Wilts PoW Rensburg 14/2/1900 1 year 6 months ago #88182

• azyeoman
Ian kindly sent some more information on Hazzard. He is mentioned in an account of the battle. It is most interesting.

The following is taken from a letter written to his wife by 3860 Pte. J Amor of D Company:

“I was marching in the front rank of D Company and several of us were sent forwards to act as scouts. My pal Arthur Pressley (2537 Pte. A Pressley) was next to me in line then a few yards to my right as we moved forward. Firing started at the rear of us and lines by sections were ordered. We marched on for a while then came the order to double. Then it seemed like more and more men behind me began firing, starting at first with G Company at the rear and eventually all along D Company. As we moved on we seemed to be getting fired upon from several directions. This is when we started to separate, some leaving the railway track making for some higher ground to the right and some of us going straight on. I saw Sgt. Walkley hurrying the lads on, then get hit in the right arm, left leg and then head poor fellow, he was a good man and a good Sergeant I had great respect for; seeing his death was horrible and will haunt me for all my life. Then worst of all for me I saw poor Arthur shot about fifty feet away from me and behind me I saw Pte Johnson of G Company (3013 Pte C Johnson) shot too. He was standing defiantly returning fire, shot after shot, he was a good marksman, but was cut down in a hail of bullets. That truly was scary my dear, I literally felt bullets whizzing past my head and body; it made several of us dive on the ground, I saw Pte Swinden get shot (1694 Pte P Swinden) causing three of four blokes to fall over him”.

Pte Amor was taken prisoner and held at Watervaal, from where he sent this letter. He would later die there of Enteric Fever on the 25th of May 1900.

Edward Walkley was not killed and ended his service with the colors in 1894. He became a Police Constable with the Glamorgan Constabulary in the town of Pontypridd. He had acted as the Division’s Drill Instructor. On being recalled to the Regiment he was promoted Sergeant in D Company. A fellow resident of Pontypridd was 2190 Private F Potter, also of D Company. He was taken prisoner of war at Rensburg and wrote home to his wife whilst held at Watervaal; he described the 14th of February and of Sergeant Walkley he wrote “P.C. Walkley was either killed or wounded – I don’t know which, but I saw him fall close to me”.

“I was by this time running forward with my pal Isaac Hazzard (5231 Pte I H Hazzard) running next to me. Several of us stopped and turned to return fire before moving on again. We were a mix of D and G Companies by then because we had all bunched up as we were all running and trying to put some distance between us and the enemy; honestly, I’ve never been so scared. As we ran forward some poor bloke got it just in front of me, and Isaac and a couple of other blokes couldn’t stop themselves from falling over him. I saw a chap stop to check if the man was alive, but he wasn’t. I helped Isaac up and we ran on again. We saw our Sgt. Walkley in front of us shouting at us all to get a move on and carry on straight ahead, so this is what we did. Then, just as we passed him I saw him grip his right arm, so guessed he must have been shot, then he caught another in his left leg and dropped to his knees, then I saw his head thrown backwards and realized that he’d caught another poor bloke. Bullets were streaming past and amongst us, Isaac’s water bottle was shot through, I had a piece taken out of the top of my boot cutting the laces and another went through the leg of my breeches just above my knee. I saw a bullet rip through the back of the helmet of the man in front of me. He pushed his helmet back down onto his head, and I heard him shout “Jesus!” as we carried on running– 3629 Pte. J Heath, D Company.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds