Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY PoW Lindley 31/05/1900 1 year 1 month ago #88876

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175

Cheers Rory, found his papers now. Interestingly, he only served just over 50 days in S A.
Definitely discharged at Mackenzie's Farm as per paperwork and discharge documents.
Alas, like IL after several trawls through the SAFF list , I couldn't find a De Robeck as a POW.
Perhaps due to his unfit for further duty regarding his wellbeing may have had something to do with him being at Mackenzie's Farm? If my memory serves me correctly, there was a small hospital at Mackenzie's Farm which progressed into a Imperial Yeomanry field hospital.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY PoW Lindley 31/05/1900 1 year 1 month ago #88877

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
And just to mix things up a bit more, WO100/126 shows him as "9695 DeRobeck with clasp CC only.
Regards
IL.

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY PoW Lindley 31/05/1900 1 year 1 month ago #88879

• Dave F
Hello azyeoman
Not sure if you have this information? Or indeed I have the right man? But thought it prudent to post for your research and records.

Ref the 1901 cenus for C DeRobeck.

Regards

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY 1 year 1 month ago #88886

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 300
Hello and thank you very much to Dave, Linney and Rory for your gracious help and fruitful ideas; they are truly appreciated!

I've been digging in the online archives to find out all that I can about Charles de Robeck, and I've been able to get a brief bio on him (below). It's essential to clear up the confusion between Rebock and "Asbock" as the second spelling is an inaccurate transcripton from the QSA Medal roll written out in Dover in 1901. As of now, I have NO proof that Rebock was a PoW and am thinking he was not. Trains could only go about 40 mph at that time and I agree that there was no time for Rebock to get from Lindley to Mackinzies Farm where he was discharged. There is no reference to him being ill despite being discharged for being medically unfit for further service. Bearing that in mind, why would he have been in the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital there if he were not ill? That would explain why he only received the Cape Colony clasp which is verified on the medal roll mentioned above. The De Rebock family seems to have been in the elite upper class and quite wealthy. At least one of them also served in the British Army before the Anglo-Boer War, and then Charles served if only for 50 days in the 45th Co., IY, in the Boer War. Several including Charles and his wife, born in India to a captain in the RA and served as a chauffeur for the VAD in WWI too. It's a fascinating story and one that is far from incomplete. What is odd is that I've not been able to find a photo of him or anyone in the family aside from an Admiral of the Fleet John de Robeck. There may be extensive information in Burke's Peerage (1912), but I do not have access to that. If anyone does, I would appreciate it very much if you could help find out more about Charles Richard de Robeck. Another problem is how is the surname written on official forms - De Robeck, de Robeck, DeRobeck or Derobeck, and then it is most certain that Charles Richard also went simply by "Charles". At any rate, here is what I have so far, and although most likely not a PoW, he typifies the gentlemen who volunteered in the Imperial Yeomanry after Black Week.

Charles Richard de Robeck was born on 27 March, 1871 in Naas & Carragh, Co. Kildare, Ireland. He married Louisa Emily Isabella (26/01/1871 - 30/12/1937) on 7 November 1894, and died in Dublin on 3 May 1930. I have not been able to find where he was buried. He was the son of John Henry Edward Foch de Robeck (1823-1904) and Sophia Charlotte Burton (1831-103). Louisa had L60 per annum during her widowhood as daughter of Major William Andres Warren, RA who died 11 Dec. 1880.

An interesting aspect of Irish genealogical research are dog licenses. In this case, there is an 1899 Irish Dog License Form with the following information: 22 March 1899 C. de Robeck of Johnstown (Main Street) registered one male black poodle.

De Rebock's Short Service Form shows the following:
9698 Pte. Charles de Robeck 45th Co. IY (Hunt)
Born: Naas, Co. Kildare
Trade: Gentleman
Enlisted and attested private at Newbridge when 28 years and 9 months on 5 January 1900.
Had lived four (4) years at ??? and two (2) years at Johnstown, Co. Kildare
He was single and 5’4.75” and 138 lbs. Fair complexion, Grey eyes and Fair hair. His religion was “other protestants” as he was Church of Ireland.

His service papers note the following:
Home 5/1/1900 to 5/4/1900
S. Africa 6/4/1900 to 2/6/1900 – S. African Campaign 1899-1902
Awarded S. Africa Medal
He served 149 days total and 50 in South Africa. It is written that at I.Y. Base, he was "Discharged med unfit McKenzies Farm as a Pte. on 2nd June 1900 and then noted in the same ink and handwriting "Captain for xxx? Cavalry", which could indicate he was going to be promoted and transferred to another unit.

Discharged as private On 2 June 1900 from 13th Bn., 45th Coy. At McKenzies Farm, S. Africa “in consequence of his having been found medically unfit for further service.”
His conduct was “Very Good”, and he was 29 years and 3 months old. He was described as 5’6” with a fresh complexion, blue eyes and brown hair (Note the details here are slightly different than on his initial papers... all subjective as to the clerk's opinion on eye color etc. His trade was "Gentleman", and his intended placed of residence The Firs, Rondesbosch C/O G. Carollan Esq. (crossed out) and Johnstown, Straffan – Kildare written in pencil

Medals and Decorations – “Nil” 2 June 1900 – “No Record here”; “Say about 4 months” This paper is dated 1900 and the medal rolls were compiled in 1901.

De Robeck served again by joining the Wicklow Artillery on 30 July 1900. His officer rank was captain. (see above post)
9 October 1900 HQ Wicklow Artillery (Formerly Wicklow Artillery Militia – embodied 11 May 1900 and disembodied 9 October 1900)
Capt. Charles Richard de Robeck 30 July 1900

His original service records were stamped in ink that he was "Paid War Gratuity at Private Oon 30/04/1901" amd was signed by Lt. & Qr J. A. Browning, I/C Cavalry Records.

The QSA Medal Roll for 45th Dublin Co.; 13th Bn. IY lists that 9698 Pte. De Robeck C. entitled to Cape Colony clasp (This was poorly transcribed as de Asbeck) On same page, one other CC only; three “killed Lindley” and one died Bloomfontein. Shows four privates as having been promoted to Lieutenants in other regiments. The roll is dated 19 July 1901 / Dover. This is evidence that although his service papers indicate "Nil" medals, those were written in 1900, and the medal roll came out in 1901; Thus, between his discharge and his enlisting in the Wicklow Artillery on 9 October 1900, he was awarded his QSA and CC clasp. On 31 March 1901 there is a list (RG 13/612) that has Charles R. De Robeck Married 30 years old, Capt. Wicklow Artillery, Ireland traveling with his single-23-year-old valet and domestic, Thomas Coffee. He was originally from the west coast of Africa and became a naturalized British subject.

De Robeck's personal life was involved with a large family. The1911 Ireland Census give the following data, and shows that he had transferred from the Wicklow Artillery to the 3rd Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Charles Richard de Robeck – Head – Church of Ireland (C of I) – Read & Write; 40 years old, Capt. 3rd R. Dublin Fusiliers, married 16 years with three children; living in Co. Kildare
Louise Emily Isabella – wife – C of I – Read & Write; 40 years old
Joan Daughter C of I; Read & Write – 6 years old
Dermot son, C of I; 4 years old
Patrick son, C of I; one month old
Lizzie Ethel Warren - sister in-law, C of I; Read & Write, 42 years old single
Marite Josephine Newell, visitor, Co of I; Read & Write, 24 years old – governess single
Jessie Doig – servant, Brethren, Read & Write, 43 years old, Maternity nurse – widow
Mary Anne Stewart, servant, RC, Read & Write, 24 years old, Parlor maid & domestic servant – single
Annie Levey – servant, RC, Read & Write, 26 years old, Cook & domestic servant, single
De Robeck lived not only in Ireland, but also in England and in France. These are his addresses from the voter records 1913. Electoral records Adelaide Ward, Hove – Salisbury Rd. 25 Salisbury Road Hove House, Brighton
13 Rue Corainbert, Paris Freehold house

His military service and promotions are as listed below:
1900 Pte. 45th Coy. 13th Bn. IY
1900 Wicklow, Capt. C.R. de Robeck
1908 Capt. C.R. de Robeck – Special Reserve
1913 (Vol. III) resigned Capt. C.R. de Robeck – special reserve
1913 (Vol. IV) Capt. C.R. de Robeck – special reserve
1919 Major C. R. de Robeck – regular forces relinquished commission on account of ill health, and retains the rank of major.

Not only did Charles de Robeck serve in The Great War, but there were others in the family who served King & country. The WWI medal index cards show the following de Robecks served in WWI.
Bernard Lorenzo de Robeck Lt. RFA - MC
JHE de Robeck (John Henry Edward) Lt & Major RFA – MBE
Charles Richard de Robeck - Major RWFusiliers & Notts & Derby Regt. Egypt 1917 SWB Awareded BWM & Victory
Baron Henry Edward William de Robeck Lt. Col. Remount Dept. & Col. RFA France 1915
Louisa E.F. De Robeck (Mrs.) VAD – awarded BWM & Victory
Muriel De Robeck VAD Nurse France 2/11/1915
Olive De Robeck VAD Nurse France 2/11/1915

In 1924 de Robeck and another fellow came in to an exceptionally large inheritance. Major Charles de Robeck & Colonel Frederick St. John Blacker inherieted L65,466. 15S 1d , which today in 2023 is worth L1,137,195.91. Mary Elizabeth Lawless (widow) of the Homestead Upper Hale, Farnham, Surry formerly of Bryanstown, Maynorth, Co. Kildare, Irish Free State was the person who left the money to them in probate.

The 1930 Probate and Charles' family.
De Robeck Charles Richard otherwise Charles of 31 Marlborough Rd., Dublin died 3 May 1930; London – 17 September to Louisa Emily Isabella de Robeck widow and Joan de Robeck spinster (daughter). Effects L4433 18S 6d in England (370,719.62 in 2023) Louisa Emily died on 30 December 1944. His daughter Joan was born in 1905 while His youngest son Patrick was born in March, 1911 and died in 1975.

His middle son Dermot was born in 1907, and unfortunately died when 18 years old in 1925 while serving in the RAF. He is buried in St. Mary & Andrew Churchyard, Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire. The mid-air collision was filed in a contemporary article in "Flight" magazine (September 3, 1925 page 568. "R.A.F. Flying Accident" The Air Ministry regrets to announce that, as a result of a collision in the air at Hinxton, Cambridge, between two Siskin machines of No. 111 Squadron, Duxford, on August 28, Flying Officer Harry Butlin, the pilot of one machine, and his passenger, Pilot Officer Dermot de Robeck, were killed. Pilot Officer Hugh Peck, the pilot and sole occupant of the other machine was also killed".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY PoW Lindley 31/05/1900 1 year 1 month ago #88893

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2150

In 1924 de Robeck and another fellow came in to an exceptionally large inheritance. Major Charles de Robeck & Colonel Frederick St. John Blacker inherieted L65,466. 15S 1d , which today in 2023 is worth L1,137,195.91. Mary Elizabeth Lawless (widow) of the Homestead Upper Fale, Farnham, Surry formerly of Bryanstown, Maynorth, Co. Kildare, Irish Free State was the person who left the money to them in probate.

The Upper Fale mentioned is actually Upper Hale, within spitting distance of where I live in Farnham.

A very well composed synposis azyeoman - and a very interesting character indeed. I agree with your findings to date.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

9698 Pte. C de Rebock 45th Coy, 13th Bn IY PoW Lindley 31/05/1900 1 year 1 month ago #88897

• Dave F
For your records, another snippet of info pertaining to the De Robecks.

Regards

Dave...
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Time to create page: 0.654 seconds