Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South African Constabulary (S.A.C.) 9 years 10 months ago #20413

• Spaniard
  • Thank you received: 3

QSAMIKE wrote: Goo Morning Spaniard....

The author of the book spent nearly a year going through all the enlistment documents in SA to find all the people who had registered as Canadians.....

My total is 1227 all ranks, don't also forget the number that joined later......

Mike

Thank U Mr. Mike for the heads-up. That's true, others after termination of contract, joined the SAC. I wonder how many of the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th, Canadian Mounted Rifles, joined SAC? I wrote this, just first draft:

The Canadian contribution consisted of 1200 men, according to, at the time Captain E. J. Chambers in 1905, however depending on account the numbers are slightly higher or lower. One must take into consideration those are the numbers that sailed from Canada, and 100s joined the SAC after their military contracts terminated, as example. When Col. Sam Steele of the Strathcona’s, contract terminated, joined the S.A.C. staying years in South Africa, returning to Canada in 1906, while LAC, collections Canada state: “He went to South Africa, left the military (after the war) and was appointed Commanding Officer of the South African Constabulary, a position he held until 1908.” A portion of the men in Canadian contingents, were discharge in South Africa, joined other units and later the police force, as an incentive, offered money, land, and settled, married south African women; at least 57 Canadian members of the S.A.C., died supposedly during and after the war, would be registered with the war graves, from Canada. End.

Here is the conundrum, what about those that lived in Canada but were British borne, found accounts when war erupted 100s went to Briton and joined British units, SAC, which also included Canadian borne.

Cheers.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Constabulary (S.A.C.) 9 years 10 months ago #20415

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879

Spaniard wrote:
Here is the conundrum, what about those that lived in Canada but were British borne, found accounts when war erupted 100s went to Briton and joined British units, SAC, which also included Canadian borne.

Cheers.

I do not understand what the conundrum is..... During the decade before the war there was a big push by the Canadian Government and the CPR to bring to Canada, British and Europeans to come to Canada..... If they settled in Canada, started business, got married, purchased or built houses even though they were born in England as far as I think they are Canadian..... If you look at the background of the men who joined the Strathcona's and the 1st CMR's 80 % of the could have been using your criteria would be classified as British borne.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

South African Constabulary (S.A.C.) 9 years 10 months ago #20480

• Spaniard

QSAMIKE wrote:

Spaniard wrote:

Cheers.

I do not understand what the conundrum is..... During the decade before the war there was a big push by the Canadian Government and the CPR to bring to Canada, British and Europeans to come to Canada..... If they settled in Canada, started business, got married, purchased or built houses even though they were born in England as far as I think they are Canadian..... If you look at the background of the men who joined the Strathcona's and the 1st CMR's 80 % of the could have been using your criteria would be classified as British borne.....

Mike

Note just elaborating on some of your comments.

Hi, and my apologies, was going to add more and received an emergency call, and posted.
Only finished last night, was going fishing up north for few days and wokeup racked, now dragging my heels, just quickly posting.

The above comment is part of, “How Many Canadian Authorised Militia Force, Died During the Second Anglo-Boer War”?

On Lord’s Strathcona Horse, and SAW, covered all that over 2 ½ decades ago with a wide brush, immediately noticed deferent accounts and contradiction, however still learning the Canadian detailed account. Do you have all the GO for them for SA? Looking in old notes, = many boxes.

According to mainstream historians: Lord Strathcona’s Horse, “boarded the SS Monterey, 537 officers and men, as well as 599 horses, of the new regiment sailed from Halifax on 18 March 1900 and arrived in Cape Town on 10 April. Along with The Royal Canadian Dragoons, for this reason, in August 1900, at the unit's own request, the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles were renamed the Royal Canadian Dragoons. In 1887 it was renamed the Royal School of Cavalry. In 1892 the regiment was renamed as the Canadian Dragoons and in 1893 it became The Royal Canadian Dragoons.”

That means both sailed to SA at the sametime???? I have accounts that say No, sailed deferent dates, or dates mentioned are wrong, not counting the LSH reinforcements sent with numbers and dates.

Cowboys and the NWMP, which also contributed, remember the majority of Canada’s Authorised Military Force was, English. Only the Imperialist sentiment and their agenda, war mongering from news papers, ect., ect., the Imperialist twisting the arm of the Canadian Government. The majority were young, single, with no or some ties to Canada, emigrated recently or years from Briton, Irish, Scottish, ect, as many Canadian borne. Like I stated many after the war settled and even married South African women.

Now Cowboys, not very American, it’s origins rooted in Spain, just like British, Irish, and Scottish, incognito, 95% all British Old DNA, from the Basque region of Spain; the irony, Lol.

I have an extensive amount of documentation on immigration to the Canada’s, and with in, pre 1759 to post SWW. Many Americans also immigrated in 1880’s and during the Gold rush, not counting the Asian’s ect., ect. Canadian borne or British went to the USA and settled built homes ect., ect., after years, decades in the USA, in large numbers moved back to Canada in those times. CPR was complete and recruited many Europeans with incentives, I have posters, documents, the program to lure colonists was highly successful only: between the late 1890s and 1914. “In 1891 the Calgary and Edmonton Railway (C&E) was completed between Calgary and Strathcona. The C&E became part of the CPR. The town of Strathcona later became part of Edmonton.” The Europeans that immigrated, many had money ect., ect., while many others with hardly nothing, looking for employment, and new life. You also had British, Scottish, Irish, seeking work, at that time Canada was in a economic boom, per say.

It’s all about next of kin, and country of origin, no Canadian citizen in those times, unless borne in Canada. The Canadian authorised militia units in SA, if you died, your part of the Canadian Force, and the grave will reflect that, after you paid for the Blanket they rapped you in, deducted from the last pay, sent to, next of kin listed upon enrolment? Once the contract is terminated and released of duty in SA, like many Canadians, then enlisted in the British Army, your grave would be British, whether you’re British or Canadian borne, even a Spaniard, however on my papers of enlistment will have next of kin, and country of origin, from Spain.

As example, let’s flash forward to FWW, 13th BATT. RHC, CEF, FC. 1914- 1915, Muster Roll, ka, nominal roll. 300 next of kin, from Briton, 300+ from Scotland ect. You had from other countries, even a Chinese, Japanese, German, and two, “Rastafarian Buffalo Soldiers in Kilts,” from Jamaica. If KIA, DOW, DOD, died while being invalidated and transported back to Canada, would be registered, part of the Canadian Force, with a Canadian grave stone. However what about those that died on the ships, days, weeks or months later, once they arrived in Canada, many historians excluded them, in the number count, I wonder how many were buried at sea during the South African War?

Extracted from magazine, have many from pre 1880 till FWW.
16O ACRES FREE
Are offered by the Government of Canada to
every able-bodied man, over 18 years of age,
who is willing to take upon himself the duties
of settlement.

A snapshot of Canada in 1900 reveals a country with only seven provinces (Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and British Columbia) and a population of only 5,371,315, most of which is strung out along a narrow corridor just north of the American border. In this population, Aboriginal peoples number approximately 127,000 (2.4 percent), while people of British origin account for the largest part, numbering 3,063,195 (57 percent). Canadians of French origin, some 1,649,371 in number (30.7 percent), are concentrated in Quebec, which was settled by the French between 1608 and 1759. Small and relatively insignificant numbers of people of Scandinavian and central, southern, and east European origin have made their homes in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and across the Prairies.

Especially noteworthy are survivors from among the 15,000 Chinese who were brought to Canada between 1880 and 1885 to toil on the British Columbia leg of the Canadian Pacific Railway. When work on the main railway line was finished in 1885, thousands of these Chinese were forced to migrate across the country in search of work.

In the closing years of the eighteenth century, these included some 40,000 to 50,000 Loyalists, refugees from the newly established United States of America who settled in what is now southern Quebec, Ontario, and the Maritime provinces. The first half of the nineteenth century saw a huge influx of British immigrants transform the face of Ontario. And, as noted, this century has seen the greatest changes, whether as a result of the Asian, South American, and Caribbean influxes of recent decades or of the streams of immigrants from continental Europe, Great Britain, and the United States in the opening years of the century, each group bringing the labour, capital, skills, and cultural diversity that are so essential to the building of a new country.

Continental Europeans did not settle in Canada in significant numbers in the early years of Confederation, but by the time that the fledgling dominion was sending soldiers to South Africa to fight in the Boer War (1899–1902), they had begun to arrive in unprecedented numbers. Of the almost 3 million immigrants who made their way to Canada between 1900 and the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, more than 500,000 came from continental Europe. This was Canada’s first great wave of European immigration. Also, during these years, close to a million people emigrated from the British Isles, which continued to furnish Canada with its largest number of immigrants, and more than 750,000 arrived from the United States, many of them returning Canadians.

www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/legacy/chap-1.asp

C.U on Monday, well maybe ;)
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

South African Constabulary (S.A.C.) 9 years 10 months ago #20488

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Spaniard......

Do you have all the GO for them for SA? Looking in old notes, = many boxes.

Yes I do have all the RO's for the Strathcona's I also have and have published here all the correspondence between Sam Steele and Lord Strathcona.....

According to mainstream historians: Lord Strathcona’s Horse, “boarded the SS Monterey, 537 officers and men, as well as 599 horses, of the new regiment sailed from Halifax on 18 March 1900 and arrived in Cape Town on 10 April.

The First CMR did NOT sail with the Strathcona's. The Strathcona's had a few RCR's and a few 1st CMR's with them onboard ship.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

South African Constabulary (S.A.C.) 9 years 10 months ago #20543

• Spaniard

QSAMIKE wrote: Hi Spaniard......

Do you have all the GO for them for SA? Looking in old notes, = many boxes.

Yes I do have all the RO's for the Strathcona's I also have and have published here all the correspondence between Sam Steele and Lord Strathcona.....

According to mainstream historians: Lord Strathcona’s Horse, “boarded the SS Monterey, 537 officers and men, as well as 599 horses, of the new regiment sailed from Halifax on 18 March 1900 and arrived in Cape Town on 10 April.

The First CMR did NOT sail with the Strathcona's. The Strathcona's had a few RCR's and a few 1st CMR's with them onboard ship.

Mike

Hello Mr. Mike, the rains brought me back, however only 1 1/2 drive, no big deal, pack and go. Thank you kindly it’s appreciated, however found the 3 whole wide folders for LSH, ect while I was packing the car, I rummaged trough the boxes. Brought the files ect., with me and did some homework at night, I’ll post my findings, lol.

I’ll refrain from replying your LSH comment, a few RCR a few CMR, just wanted to add account on the Constabulary, adding to your thread and went off topic with the LSH. The Canadian men of the Canstabulary, are added to the book, Nile Expedition, even those that died after the war.

Hold on to your bolmoral, Mr. Mike, I will try to fill your plate, on LSH account, with prime source, first hand documented historical accounts, no Books or world renowned historian point of view, needed Ici.

Cheers

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds