Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5825

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank :blush: :blush:
Got my years wrong, schoolboy error, sorry.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Gentlemen,
Black week, which started with the engagment at Stormberg Junction on the 10th of December, continued at Maggersfontein on the 11th, ending with Buller's first attempt to break through to Ladysmith, on the 15th, after a naked frontal assault :woohoo: at Colenso, :woohoo: was in 1899!
Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5826

• gerald
  • gerald's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank,
Yes you are right about the number of Hodge's serving? I have got about 6/7 ranging from the Rand Rifles ,R.H.A., 5th Contingent Q.l.D. (Imperial Bushmen), Loyal North Lanc's ,Scottish Horse, 12th P.o.W. Lancers, 5th N.Z Contingent.
He sounds as if he was P.B.I so I have all but discounted the gunner and the lancers. Thanks for the input anyway it is all helpful.
I am not too sure about him being in the SAIMF It is the reference to the 'human size' monkey's, which must have been a troop of baboons. Hodge sounds surprised to see them? If he was a 'country' soldier he would be aware of them. again i was puzzled by the force of 4,000 Boers, as I did not think they could muster so many at one time. No doubt I am very wrong.

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5827

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Gerald,
I think you may be rather surprised by the number of men who sailed from Great Britain to join the SAMIF!
The figure of 4000 might be a slight exaggeration on the part of the kaffir!
Regards Frank

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5834

• gerald
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank,
I can see how the jingoism of the time would attract these men to fight in far off lands,as it has always done throughout history. But I still think (and hope)that Pte Hodge is a 'local'. The transcript is from a book of reminicences from 1988. As for the Kaffir's estimate,it was ever thus.It sounds a bit like "Zulu's! Farsands of them!" But that was a different war.Still the search goes on.
thanks
gerald

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5871

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Very interesting letter.

I looked at the "guard" who was "riddled with bullets" as he should be in the Casualty Rolls.

There is no railway official in the Casualty Rolls, but in the medal rolls there is an H Wright, Driver, Imperial Military Railways who died of wounds at Standerton 25-12-1900 (Watt In Memoriam states 25-12). This date fits in with the letter – 3 weeks from 6-12.

In the incredibly useful Surrenders (WO108-372) shows a train derailment incident nr Vaal Station (on the line from Standerton to Elandsfontein) in which three soldiers were wounded and eight captured. No mention is made of any train crew being killed – they were civilians so may not have been reported. The date for this 29-12 – close to the date Driver Wright died, but they could be separate incidents.

Hodge may have witnessed this incident.

Interestingly the Official Casualty Rolls only shows five men POW nr Vaal Station 29-12-1900 – where are the wounded and other three POWs?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerald

Re: battle site information. 11 years 5 months ago #5886

• gerald
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Meurig,
I can see I am going to have my work cut out getting to the bottom of William Hodge's story. I will be haunting the local reference library for months/years to come, on the strength of the info that you have supplied alone.
Thank you for your efforts on my behalf

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds