Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4313

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I just wondered why we are all interested in the Anglo Boer War, why we collect and part with what can often be very substantial amounts of our hard earned cash, not just on medals but other things as well!
For me, the Boer war is where old meets new, a dress rehersal for the Great War and the first real media war, a new breed of newspaper journalist, the photo-journalist with a portable camera, civilians in the firing line, the increase in speed of communications etc, it can be compared with the wars of our time.
Perhaps the last of the gentlemens wars too, cricket being played in Mafeking along with Gilbert and Sullivans opera's in the masonic hall, a truce on certain Sundays!
For the medal collector, the last of the Victorian campaign medals, the diversity of units and clasps, the amount of resoures and information available today, like this site and forum.
The fact so many good medals are still available (at a price)
All of these factors combine to make it of interest to me, I would be interested to know what turns you all on about the Boer War?
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4314

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

Frank Kelley wrote: Gentlemen,
I just wondered why we are all interested in the Anglo Boer War, why we collect and part with what can often be very substantial amounts of our hard earned cash, not just on medals but other things as well!

For me, the Boer war is where old meets new, a dress rehersal for the Great War and the first real media war, a new breed of newspaper journalist, the photo-journalist with a portable camera, civilians in the firing line, the increase in speed of communications etc, it can be compared with the wars of our time.

Perhaps the last of the gentlemens wars too, cricket being played in Mafeking along with Gilbert and Sullivans opera's in the masonic hall, a truce on certain Sundays!

For the medal collector, the last of the Victorian campaign medals, the diversity of units and clasps, the amount of resoures and information available today, like this site and forum.

The fact so many good medals are still available (at a price)

All of these factors combine to make it of interest to me, I would be interested to know what turns you all on about the Boer War?
Regards Frank

Good Morning Frank.....

I don't think I could have said it better.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4315

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank

A very good question and one I have pondered over myself recently.
I agree with your sentiments and would add a few of mine.
Firstly as a medal collector I had struggled with a dedicated theme for some years, collecting anything and everything.
I then became fascinated by the the Victorian campaigns and the great research involved.
I narrowed my field down to the Anglo Boer War because of the scope of collecting, not only in medals but in associated items.
I now have a nice little collection medals,photographs,postcards and related items.
I believe the ammount of literature is endless and the more I read the more I yearn for more knowledge on the subject.
This Forum has been a revelation with help with research and information and the good Forum members generously sharing thier knowledge.
Long may the passion continue!

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4327

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I was born and brought up in Natal and, although I spent much of my adult life elsewhere, I retained an interest in Natal's history, thanks largely to my father and a history teacher, C S (Biltong) Shuter. After settling back in Natal, my interest focussed on military history, with medals the items to satisfy my collecting mania. Although my collection covers the period 1879 to 1953, it is the Boer War that to me has become the most interesting and rewarding, probably for all the reasons given by Frank, as well as being 'on the spot', so to speak. Much of my professional life was spent doing research and I am happiest when I have a new acquisition to focus on. The Boer War has provided a seemingly endless source of subject matter. It has also given me many new friends.

Brett

Re: Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4361

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Brett,
C S "Biltong" Shuter! now he does sound interesting, I take it he was a very keen Boer War historian?
Hope he shared his biltong with the class!
Frank.

Brett Hendey wrote: I was born and brought up in Natal and, although I spent much of my adult life elsewhere, I retained an interest in Natal's history, thanks largely to my father and a history teacher, C S (Biltong) Shuter. After settling back in Natal, my interest focussed on military history, with medals the items to satisfy my collecting mania. Although my collection covers the period 1879 to 1953, it is the Boer War that to me has become the most interesting and rewarding, probably for all the reasons given by Frank, as well as being 'on the spot', so to speak. Much of my professional life was spent doing research and I am happiest when I have a new acquisition to focus on. The Boer War has provided a seemingly endless source of subject matter. It has also given me many new friends.

Brett

Re: Why the Boer War? 11 years 8 months ago #4369

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank

"Biltong" was so named because he was thin and dessicated in appearance (and he had the misfortune of having rude pupils). His passion was the British settlement of Natal in the 1800's. He probably regarded the Boers and Zulus as unnecessary irritations in an otherwise perfect addition to the Empire. He was the author of the book, 'Englishman's Inn', which was published in 1963. I still have a copy (No. 69 of 1200). Judging from this book, he lost interest in Natal after it became a self-governing Colony in the 1890's. Perhaps it was then that the rot set in. "Biltong" emigrated to Australia long before it became fashionable for South Africans to do so, which is an indication that he was not as detached from reality as appearances had suggested.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds