Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Roberts’ Horse - action at Eerstefabrieken 31August 1900? 5 years 1 month ago #62448

• nigelutting
  • nigelutting's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks for the extracts and information. Looks like Pvt. Yorke just had an unlucky day. Not shot badly enough to die immediately, but badly enough to succumb 24-48 hours later.

See: utting.org/wordpress/anglo-boer-war-oudt...-memorial/#more-5598

Thanks again,
Nigel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Roberts’ Horse - action at Eerstefabrieken 31August 1900? 5 years 1 month ago #62449

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
According to the War Office casualty list as reported in the London Daily News 04-09-1900 Yorke died at "Tigersburg" on Sept 1.

In the same report a Pte 7154 JB Cooper Northamptonshire Rgt was killed at "Tigersburg". This is written as "Tygersberg" in the official casualty roll, where is "Tygersberg/Tigersburg"? Presumably they are two different farms?

According Watt Cooper is buried in Potchefstroom and Yorke at Diamond Hill - hence his name on the memorial at Cullinan.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:

Roberts’ Horse - action at Eerstefabrieken 31August 1900? 5 years 1 month ago #62451

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi Nigel

Tygerberg/Tigerberg is a hill east of Pretoria. (Tiger mountain). Eerstefabrieken ( first factory) is 16 miles east of Pretoria. A hospital part of No2 general hospital was sited there in 1900. These places are about 5 to 10 km south west of Cullinan. So it all makes sense from where he was wounded, probably died of wounds at the hospital, and buried in Cullinan ?

Regards
Adrian

Roberts’ Horse - action at Eerstefabrieken 31August 1900? 5 years 1 month ago #62528

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
On the morning of August 25 we marched from Pretoria, and in accordance with instructions, three companies ( E, F, and H ) under Major Pelletier , were left at Silverton, to relieve a like number of men of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, which was ordered to move further eastward down the line.
In addition to these three companies , one troops of Roberts' Horse, and one section of the 18th Battery ,R.F.A., formed the garrison.
With the remaining four companies, A , B, C, and D, I moved forward on to Eerste Fabricken, and here I took over command of that station, and relieved the remainder of the D.C.L.I.
I found here one troop of Roberts' Horse.
G Company , R.C.R. was still doing duty on the armoured train.
Eerste Fabricken , I found was a village of some importance, and the site of the Hatherley Distillery.The enemy was in small parties hovering about in the vicinity to the northward, threatening to cut the railway line - Pretoria -Middelburg - over which large numbers of troops and supplies were passing to the headquarters of the army.
Brigadier-General Barker, R.E , was in command of the line with heardquarters at the time at Bronkhurst Spruit.
The defences of Eerste Fabricken, I found already made , consequently the duties entailed upon officers and men were not heavy , nor was the enemy very energetic, although on the 30th of August , one of the M.I. patrol was killed and two horses shot.

From Lieut.Col. Otter's Report A page 25 Sessional Paper No 35 A Report Of the Secretary Of State of Canada For The Year Ended December 31 1900

From the above, Yorke was already at Eerstefabrieken when the R.C.R arrived, and it would appear that he was shot on the 30th of August according to Otter, remarking he was killed out right.Also the enemy was northward of Eerstefabrieken - which would be towards the Magaliesberg mountain range. Tigerspoort to the south.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.043 seconds