Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 7 months ago #42693

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

crypt wrote: Evening all

Unfortunately I had the pictures on my old PC which failed so will retake them again should anybody want a picture.

Jon

Hi Jon

When that happened to me once and I got a lecture about backing everything up by "She Who Must Be Obeyed" and an external hard drive for Christmas......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: crypt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 7 months ago #42711

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Thanks Jon - it would be very interesting to see.

Best, Justin

crypt wrote: Evening all

I am going to Barberton on Saturday and will take pictures at the Garden of Remembrance. From what I can remember the casualties were buried there. Unfortunately I had the pictures on my old PC which failed so will retake them again should anybody want a picture.

Jon

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 6 months ago #42832

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
I was in Barberton on Saturday, along with other veterans of the Border War, where we were guests at the annual Freedom of the City parade. The Botha Regiment, Transvaal Scottish and South African Irish are accorded this honour due to the fact that they did their training here during the Second World War at Dusty Ranch.

I took pictures of the Garden of Remembrance, where Boer War casualties were re-interred from surrounding areas in the 1970's. There are a series of round structures in which the remains are placed, each with an individual flagstone with the name. regiment and date of death on. There are also 4 original stone crosses as well as the Hampshire memorial.

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 6 months ago #42833

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Further, the bronze plates listing the names

Jon T
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, Henk Loots, BereniceUK

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 6 months ago #42834

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi Jon
Thanks for the excellent photos!

The Hampshire Regimental History covers the incident in a short paragraph.

However, Steve Watt published a 5 page article on the Barberton railway accident in the Military History Journal, Vol 11, No 5, June 2000, with numerous references to a report in the "Natal Witness" of 24 April 1902. Watts mentions
" The dead were buried the next day with full military honours in the Barberton Cemetery. A long procession, led by a gun carriage carrying the body of Corporal C Childs, started from the hospital at 07:00. Thirty-eight other dead followed in nine ambulance waggons."

Unfortunately I do not have Cpl Childs' KSA
Henk
Attachments:

Guard Ross and The Railway Disaster at Barberton 30th March 1902 8 years 6 months ago #42840

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Jon
Thank you for posting photos of a remarkable Boer War memorial. It is heartening to see that it is still largely in good order and well maintained. Presumably it is protected from the activities of metal thieves and vandals.

Henk
Thank you for adding another of your excellent posts.

My regards to you both.
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 3.704 seconds