Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 2 years 5 months ago #79304

• DocCJ
  • Thank you received: 22
Mike
I checked my notes from a visit to Kew a couple of years ago for a reference to the minimum age, but couldn't find one. Annoying, but I distinctly remember it as it occured to me at the time that my grandfather turned 20 on 28 August 1895 and so could have made it to South Africa in time for the Jameson Raid. He may have sailed down on the 20 September 1895 on the Nineveh, but I am far from sure.
You indicated that some of your information on Robert Cook came from archives in Harare - was that also the source of his attestaion date and number (and that it was Matabeleland not Mashonaland MP), or was their another source? Is it pure chance that you have the information for Robert Cook or does your information cover other raiders? I would love to find out when my grandfather, James Joseph Smith, first travelled out to South Africa, and indeed when he was discharged after the Matabele War.
Any pointers you can give would be much appreciated.
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 2 years 5 months ago #79307

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi Chris
I have Cook's BSA Co. medal as well as his QSA and KSA. I bought them from a chap who got his greatest joy from researching medals , but once he was happy that he knew all that there was to know about " his man "he tended to move onto the next project. In this case he was unaware of Cook's WW1 service as he didnt have the relevant medals . I guess that the WW1 medals were never issued, or if issued have gone astray.
I'll chat to my researcher friend and see if he can give some leads on James Joseph Smith. Sadly while there are various Jameson Raider lists around, none are definitive. Also being a keynote battle, there are lots of soldiers who claimed to have been there. I have one such group where his obituary makes the claim. Clearly echoing what the old boy had said in his lifetime , probably to the point where he believed it himself. I can find no support for his claim, much as I should like it to be so.
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocCJ

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 2 years 5 months ago #79313

• DocCJ
  • Thank you received: 22
Thanks, Mike
I'm as certain as can be that my grandfather was a Jameson Raider: he's on all the lists, including his address in Cardiff and I have his BSAC medal!
Best
Chris

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.196 seconds