Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cape Town Highlanders & O'Okiep 3 years 3 months ago #73930

• eleanordamon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Meurig
I am doing research on my husbands great grandfather Edward Alfred Thomas. He married Hannah Gorman in O'okiep and had three daughters at the time of the war. I found on his marriage certificate that he was an employee of CCC. When the AB war broke out I take it that he was on the side of Britain and defended the mine in O'okiep. I found only an Edward Thomas, service number 69 that had the rank of a private and that was part of the border scouts Unit in Namaqualand. I am not sure whether he received a medal after the war and no other information about himself and his family was recorded. i wil be happy if you can help or direct me in a direction where i can get more about him Thank Eleanor Damon- [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Town Highlanders & O'Okiep 3 years 3 months ago #73943

• SWB
  • SWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Eleanor

Edward Thomas is on the roll of the 2nd Namaqualand Border Scouts (WO100/259p157 on Ancestry). Medals were only issued off this roll "on application only, as it is not known which individualsare and which are coloured". As a rule only white men and women were issued medals for service in the war.

There are no remarks against his name to indicate that he applied for his medal. There may be an attestation form for him, to check, contact Kevin Asplin on [email protected].

Good luck, kind regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds