Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 12 years 3 months ago #1592

• Tim2000
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
It is mentioned that 3 Boer Teenage Boys were taken prisoner by the Zulus. Does anyone know what became of these young men after they were taken prisoner?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 12 years 3 months ago #1594

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Tim

I have not come across any mention of the fate of the three boys, but I suspect that they were soon released. Had they been ill-treated or killed, there would have been an even greater stir amongst the Boers about the event and any such ill-treatment would have become a major part of the Boer memory of the battle.

Regards
Brett

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 11 years 10 months ago #3005

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Brett,

I came across another picture today of the monument in Vryheid I believe.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 1 month ago #17620

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Brett,

I haven't come across this incident before, that I recall and thanks for a very enlightening post albeit now old.

Iain

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 1 month ago #17623

• Theo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi I am new to the this site and have read an account during the 1970s about the Holkrans massacre as it was known. I read that two boys who survived the massacre were Francis Barry Pratt and a Fourie boy.
I subsequently wrote to the Borough of Vryheid enquring about the Pratt survivor and received a reply dated 22nd May 1973 The reply reads as follows; Sir your letter dated 17th May 1973 refers. Mr F.B.Pratt who is 91 years old is staying with his son Mr. George Pratt on a farm near Vryheid. Follows his sons address and a note that my letter had been forwarded to him . I wrote to him and as he was not related to me I lost contact with him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iaindh

Re: The Battle of Holkrans 10 years 1 month ago #17639

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Theo

I'm pleased the boys survived; I'm currently reading "The Red Soldier" about the Zulu wars of 1879. The Drummer boys who died at Islandwana were strung up and gutted, presumably for Muti. I actually thought the same fate may have happened to these boys. I know all the British soldiers were ritually disemboweled at Islandwana but quite a few accounts tell of the boys being butchered like sheep or chopped up.

Iain

Theo wrote: Hi I am new to the this site and have read an account during the 1970s about the Holkrans massacre as it was known. I read that two boys who survived the massacre were Francis Barry Pratt and a Fourie boy.
I subsequently wrote to the Borough of Vryheid enquring about the Pratt survivor and received a reply dated 22nd May 1973 The reply reads as follows; Sir your letter dated 17th May 1973 refers. Mr F.B.Pratt who is 91 years old is staying with his son Mr. George Pratt on a farm near Vryheid. Follows his sons address and a note that my letter had been forwarded to him . I wrote to him and as he was not related to me I lost contact with him.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds