Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16854

• NJMCCARTHY
  • NJMCCARTHY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings,
I am currently research on behalf of Stamford School, Lincolnshire, the name of our Old Boys who served and died in the Boer War. During the conflict we lost two men, the first of which is a Frank Ernest Holmes Lowless. The information below amounts to what I so far been able to unearth on his life, military career and death.

Frank Ernest Holmes Lowless

• Born October 3rd 1880
• Eldest son of John Lowless and Fanny Holmes
• Grandson of Emmanuel Holmes, a farmer and Fannie Holmes of Uffington, Lincolnshire.

• Educated at Uffington School and Stamford School 1894-1896
• In his school obituary he is remembered as a good sportsman, an excellent shot, and a hard hitter on the cricket field.

• Served as a Trooper with the Sherwood Rangers, 10th Company, 3rd Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry
• Regimental Number 27306
• Died on December 30th 1901 at the British Army Camp at Naauwpoort, Cape Colony, South Africa.
• He had contracted enteric fever three weeks prior, and during his illness orderly Frederick Clarkson, of Leeds, attended him to.
• Buried with full military honours on December 31st at Naauwpoort.

• Commemorated in the Chapel at Stamford School; East Retford Church; Peterborough Cathedral; Selby Park Boer War Memorial, Northampton Town Hall and Cape Town Cathedral.

I am now in search of any additional information anyone may be able to provide me relating to Mr Lowless’ time during the war i.e. when he may have embarked out to South Africa, conflicts he may have been involved with, where precisely he is buried, a photograph of him/ his grave etc. Any information at all essentially that will help create a larger picture of his time in South Africa and help add to what I hope will be a fitting tribute to the men of Stamford School who fought for their country.

Many thanks,

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16880

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Nick,

That is a very worthy cause.

The papers for the men for the men of the IY are help by the National Archives in WO128. These papers are available online through FindMyPast where his entry is:

LAWLESS Frank Ernest 1881 Stamford, Lincolnshire WO128 Yeomanry

His death was reported in The Times, 3 Jan 1902

Good luck with your research.
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: NJMCCARTHY

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16881

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Nick,

I don't know of any accounts of the Sherwood Rangers (but others may?). There are though several mentions in the papers of the time. This from The Times, Aug 18, 1900

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16882

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The departure of the IY from Retford. Reported 23 Jan 1900.

Have any pictures survived from this day?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16884

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
They sailed 5 days later on board the transport vessel the Winifredian.

I am seeking a picture of this ship.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Frank Ernest Lowless, Sherwood Rangers, 10th Coy, 3rd Bt. Imperial Yeomanry 10 years 3 months ago #16908

• NJMCCARTHY
  • NJMCCARTHY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

djb wrote: Nick,

That is a very worthy cause.

The papers for the men for the men of the IY are help by the National Archives in WO128. These papers are available online through FindMyPast where his entry is:

LAWLESS Frank Ernest 1881 Stamford, Lincolnshire WO128 Yeomanry

David,
Thank you for your replies and for the information provided. The info relating to Frank being recorded as Lawless is a big help.
I don't suppose you happen to have any information concerning burials in Naauwpoort?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds