Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant Charles John O'Gorman, R.A.M.C. (Siege of Kimberley) 10 years 7 months ago #13903

• Ardmore47
  • Ardmore47's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, David.

It's very interesting that a source as seemingly authoritative as the Army List can be so wrong (and it's a bit odd that no correction was ever made -- or perhaps a correction was indeed published subsequently). Are significant errors like this fairly common in the Army List, or is this a rare thing, do you know? It certainly goes to show that (if possible) one shouldn't rely on just a single source, without considering all other available information!

I didn't know that O'Gorman had arrived in the Cape in December 1898. I suppose this means that he would probably have been quite familiar with my grandfather, William Cooper, before they were posted to Kimberley in September 1899 (William was a Staff Sergeant, not an officer, so they wouldn't have moved in the same social circles, but the R.A.M.C. community in the Cape was pretty small). I'm fairly sure that William had been in Cape Town for a little over two years before O'Gorman arrived.

It's great to see the photo of O'Gorman's medals -- thanks! Do you have a photo of the man himself? Or is the photo in the VC and DSO Book referred to by "LinneyI" in an earlier message here the only one available, do you know?

Best wishes,
Ardmore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds