Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21391

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Sheehan,

That is great to come to back to a thread from a year ago and provide more information.

Many thanks for a great first post!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21404

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
SL
I refer to your original post 17788. I again had a look at the pic supplied on that post and I thought that the uniform worn by the sitting chap looked more like an Aust. WW1 tunic than Brit. This due to the line of the breast pockets. I referred the question to a colleague who is very knowledgeable on WW1 uniforms and he agreed that the sitting man is wearing an Aust. WW1 uniform. In addition, James contributed that the sitting man is wearing a wound stripe on his cuff and also appears to have Signaller or Runner titles on both lower arms. Does not look like he is wearing a QSA/KSA ribbon, however.
Hope this helps.
IL.

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21406

• LinneyI
SL
Further to my last, I think I may have run down extra info re John Thomas GRIBBEN (born in Whitehaven) in ABW, etc. Please reply if you are interested.
Regards
IL.

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21413

• sheehan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Good morning, Some further research today found John Thomas GribbEn joined the AIF on 21/5/1916 here in South Australia.
I believe he is the one mentioned in the obit. I referred to the other day' He has the same birth details, physical descript. including a tattoo, NOK and address, this time he mentions his sisters name, Mrs. Ellen Boden, and previously in West Yorkshire regiment, only this time he mentions his Boer War service. He was also a POW in Limburg Germany. My theory is that he may have mended his ways from his 1st. enlistment (Nov 1914-Mar. 1915) and re-enlisted changing the spelling of his name to GribbEn. If you go to WW1 Australian war dossiers you can read 51 scanned documents of his Army service (Service No.683)I agree the photo you have certainly looks like WW1 Australian uniform.
Sheehan

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21416

• LinneyI
SL
I, too, took the liberty of looking up John Thomas GRIBBEN'S Aust. army WW1 record. In his enlistment form was a reference to the West Yorks; one of my favourite Regiments. I have the WY QSA/KSA medal rolls on CD and can advise that "5418 J.GRIBBEN" served with the 2nd Bn., WY and earned the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal on his QSA and the normal two date clasps on his KSA. There is a marginal note on the KSA roll which states "to 1st Bn".Regards
IL.

Possible Boer War Soldier 9 years 9 months ago #21461

• Torpedo13
  • Torpedo13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Sheehan,

Thank you very much for your reply to my original post. I appreciate your effort and assistance regarding my search for John Thomas Gribbin.
John Thomas Gribbin was born around June of 1875 in Whitehaven. John passing away in Australia makes sense, as I never did find a death record for him in the UK. I was not aware of his involvement with the West Yorkshire Regiment, but will conduct a search for those records. :)
The information you came across in ABW regarding John Thomas Gribben would be very helpful to me thank you. I do recall two John Gribbin's living in Whitehaven one with the surname spelling of "Gribben". I will double check my records. Could you pls pm me with the details? as I would love to get my hands on his military records.
I would also be very interested in a copy of the obit Sheehan if that's possible?

Mr.Linney, also a huge thanks to you and your colleague for your help in identifying John's uniform. My family and I are very pleased to learn of this new found information. Could I make arrangements with you to view the records? I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you once again Gentlemen,

Take care,

S.L

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds