Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7369

• dallimore
  • dallimore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Please could anyone help me as I,m new to this site.
I am researching my Grandfathers Army career during the Beor war.
John Dallimore arrived in Saint Helena with his wife Susan and three children Alice, Thomas, and Frederick in October 1899 where his fourth child Dorothy was born.
They were all back at Dover Castle England by 1/6/1901 where his wife Susan died. Before going to Saint Helena he spent four years stationed at Shoeburyness Barracks, Essex, England.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7370

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon and welcome to this forum,
This man has two enteries in WO100 at Kew, he is on a nominal roll in WO100/137 page 43 and on the medal roll of number 2 Company Eastern Division RA and signed in St Helena.
That is not a very common name and he appears to have served again in the Great War, there is a set of service papers in WO364 at the TNA Kew to an Ex Sergt John Dallimore RGA.
All are available to you on line at ancestry, but I would suggest a trip to Kew if possible.
Regards Frank

His entery in WO100/145 page 113

And in the remarks column, first two lines only, i.e. " Belongs to AND To home establishment" etc.

Attachments:

Re: Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7371

• Frank Kelley
Sorry, forgot, prior service shown in WO364!
Regards again Frank

Attachments:

Re: Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7376

• dallimore
  • dallimore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank,

Thanks for replying so soon, I have John's papers when he joined up and his discharge papers at 1902. I know nothing of his army career whilst being stationed on Saint Helena from 1899 to 1901 apart from being given the South Africe Star. At the outbreak of the first world war John rejoined the Army and was stationed at Great Yarmouth in Norfolk because of his age he was put in the home defence force being discharged early 1918 because of health problems. John's battalion was sent to the western front a few weeks later.

Regards

Paul.

Re: Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7379

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hello Paul.....

You keep saying a South African Star...... Can you please post a picture as the only star that was given out was the Kimberly Star, given to the defenders of Kimberly.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Sergeant 42300 John Dallimore Royal Garrison Artillery 11 years 3 months ago #7385

• Frank Kelley
Hi Paul,
His army career is shown in the Statement of Service sheet in his papers, a life of garrision duty on St Helena could be a very dull and mundain routine, a visit to the National Army Museum would be worth doing if you want to find out more.
Regards Frank

dallimore wrote: Hi Frank,

Thanks for replying so soon, I have John's papers when he joined up and his discharge papers at 1902. I know nothing of his army career whilst being stationed on Saint Helena from 1899 to 1901 apart from being given the South Africe Star. At the outbreak of the first world war John rejoined the Army and was stationed at Great Yarmouth in Norfolk because of his age he was put in the home defence force being discharged early 1918 because of health problems. John's battalion was sent to the western front a few weeks later.

Regards

Paul.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.633 seconds