• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: John Wilson Trooper Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 11 years 5 months ago #6542

• MJW
  • MJW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you. I found images of the QSA and the Transvaal clasp on the internet.

Did South African territorial units recruit in Scotland in 1901?
Would John Wilson have paid his own way to SA to join the JMR? or is it more likely that he already lived there when hostilities broke out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: John Wilson Trooper Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 11 years 5 months ago #6543

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The JMR was part of the SAMIF it did not recruit in Scotland, men from all over the empire made came to South Africa to join SAMIF units, so John Wilson might well have done exactly that.
Regards Frank

MJW wrote: Thank you. I found images of the QSA and the Transvaal clasp on the internet.

Did South African territorial units recruit in Scotland in 1901?
Would John Wilson have paid his own way to SA to join the JMR? or is it more likely that he already lived there when hostilities broke out?

Re: John Wilson Trooper Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 11 years 5 months ago #6629

• MJW
  • MJW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Are there any South African resources that I could access in order to find when John Wilson entered or left South Africa. Which ports were available in 1900-1904 to men to get into and out of SA in those years especially near Durban which is where he said he wanted to live after his discharge.

Re: John Wilson Trooper Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 11 years 5 months ago #6632

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If he sailed on a British registered ship, both to and from South Africa, you will find almost all of the passenger lists from the period in question at the TNA kew in the Board of Trade files, BT26, for incoming, BT27 for outgoing.
In addition, they are also available to you on line, though, of course the actual copies often do differ in quality from the magnificent bound originals.
Each list will give you the port of embarkation and the destination of the particular ship concerned.
Regards Frank

MJW wrote: Are there any South African resources that I could access in order to find when John Wilson entered or left South Africa. Which ports were available in 1900-1904 to men to get into and out of SA in those years especially near Durban which is where he said he wanted to live after his discharge.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds