Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: William Eddy Railway Pioneer Regiment/Jameson Raid 11 years 5 months ago #6520

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Justin raises a very interesting point here, Dr Jameson was in very good company during the seige, Cecil Rhodes brother, Frank was holed up there too!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: William Eddy Railway Pioneer Regiment/Jameson Raid 11 years 5 months ago #6526

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I am now satisfied that he did not take part in the Jameson Raid in any military capacity, his name is not a common one and I have never seen it before in connection with the raid, men like Wagstaffe, Steadmond, Mundell and Haggblad etc have always stuck in my mind because of their unusal names and I am sure that the name Eddy would have done so too, had he been involved.
When you look at the total men in that force the numbers are really small and about twenty years ago I started to look at them all in detail.
I think it is far more likely that your relative might have been in Ladysmith, as Justin suggests, around the time of the siege with Colonel Rhodes and Dr Jameson.
Kind regards Frank

Janr wrote: Hello - I am new to the site and trying to trace a relative who served in the Railway Pioneer Regiment after initially travelling to SA as a miner from Pendeen in Cornwall in 1894.As far as I can tell he never returned to Cornwall. I believe he is shown on this site as 1331? Family folk lore says that he was involved in the Jameson Raid - my knowledge of the Boer War is sketchy although I am trying to read up! but I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me if this is a possibility or urban myth? and if correct why would he be involved as an immigrant miner?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds