• Page:

TOPIC:

I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6401

• Willett
  • Willett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson which lists him as "AB HMS Barracouta". I have been trying to research his history bit I'm not quite sure where to start and I thought that someone might be able to help me. What interested me a lot about his medal is that he has bars for: Belmont, Modder River, Relief of Kimberly, Paardeberg & Driefontein and I was wondering why a sailor would have so many bars.
Thanks Folks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6404

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Willett
And a warm welcome to the forum.
Click on this link below for info on HMS Barracouta.
angloboerwar.com/unit-information/rn-ships/53-hms-barracouta

Your man is listed here, the rolls show a QSA only no clasps
262 no-clasp Queen’s South Africa Medals were awarded to the ship’s company of H.M.S. Barracouta.

Paul :)

Willett wrote: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson which lists him as "AB HMS Barracouta". I have been trying to research his history bit I'm not quite sure where to start and I thought that someone might be able to help me. What interested me a lot about his medal is that he has bars for: Belmont, Modder River, Relief of Kimberly, Paardeberg & Driefontein and I was wondering why a sailor would have so many bars.
Thanks Folks

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6406

• Willett
  • Willett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Paul, its nice to make contact with the forum and get help from people like yourself.
I guess this leaves me with a bit of a puzzle as to why the bars are on the medal. Maybe if I can can find out more about this man's deployment I might find the answer out.

Just out of interest, my grandfather was a Sarg. Farrier with the 5th Victorian Mounted Rifles and so hence my interest in the war. I have attached a picture of him from a photo my Uncle has his possession. We also have his Lee Medford bayonet, his QSA and his discharge papers. Its all good fun. Interestingly the blow up picture of him is a charcoal sketch taken from the original photo. My grandfather, David Anderson (1278), is the man on the left. Unfortunately I do not know name of the other soldier.
Thanks again and all the best,
Gary
Attachments:

Re: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6407

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Gary,

I wouldn't give up hope yet.

The sequence of bars on the medal were indeed awarded to Royal Navy sailors who served ashore in the Naval Brigade and fought in those engagements.They landed from the ships H.M.S. Doris, H.M.S. Philomel and H.M.S. Monarch.

It would be worth checking the original medal rolls and sailor's papers held at the National Archives. It is possible that your A.B. Wilson transferred to H.M.S. Barracouta after service off one of the other ships. No promises though!

Best wishes,

Justin

Re: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6408

• coldstream
Hi Gary,
As Justin says "dont give up hope" strange things happen with medals!
Are all the clasps officially riveted do you know?
Great pics of your Grandfather and to have the rest of his service possesions is superb, you are really lucky.
Good luck with your further research.

Willett wrote: Thanks Paul, its nice to make contact with the forum and get help from people like yourself.
I guess this leaves me with a bit of a puzzle as to why the bars are on the medal. Maybe if I can can find out more about this man's deployment I might find the answer out.

Just out of interest, my grandfather was a Sarg. Farrier with the 5th Victorian Mounted Rifles and so hence my interest in the war. I have attached a picture of him from a photo my Uncle has his possession. We also have his Lee Medford bayonet, his QSA and his discharge papers. Its all good fun. Interestingly the blow up picture of him is a charcoal sketch taken from the original photo. My grandfather, David Anderson (1278), is the man on the left. Unfortunately I do not know name of the other soldier.
Thanks again and all the best,
Gary

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: I have just purchased a QSA awarded to J. Wilson... 11 years 6 months ago #6411

• coldstream
Hi Gary,
Just had a look at the Naval medal rolls on Ancestry
There is a A.B.J.Wilson 186.261 HMS Barracouta listed there.
"sent to Pembroke 8 Feb 02"
I am not to sure of Naval records, not sure if that means the sailor was sent to Pembroke or the medal.
Pembroke could either be HMS Pembroke or Pembroke Docks I think.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds