Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SKEELS, Charles 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment No 6047 1 year 7 months ago #85769

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300

Dave F wrote: For your research
1901 census

Well done, Dave. I'd had a look for a possible Charles Skeels, and the likeliest seemed be one born in Rochdale, 3rd quarter of 1879.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SKEELS, Charles 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment No 6047 1 year 7 months ago #85770

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the census information. This is my man. I am just kicking myself as to why I did not check the census
Regards, Tony

SKEELS, Charles 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment No 6047 1 year 7 months ago #85771

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
From F.M.P. ......

First name(s) C
Last name Skeels
Service number 6047
Notes QSA Clasps: CC,OFS
Rank Lance-Corporal
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Regiment 2 Battalion The Cheshire Regiment
Rolls WO100/180 page 222
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

SKEELS, Charles 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment No 6047 1 year 7 months ago #85772

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for this. The information I am trying to find is when he injured and where the Battalion was situated when the event took place

SKEELS, Charles 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment No 6047 1 year 7 months ago #85781

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
The 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment sailed about the 7th of January and arrived in South Africa around the 27th January 1900.
They had no serious fighting on the way from Modder River to Bloemfontein. As IL has already mentioned, your man was not recorded as being a casualty in the South African Field Force list. On cross referencing the whereabouts of the Cheshires, you will be able to see the locations of the regimental entries.
For example, February 14th 1900, 15 soldiers from the Cheshires were wounded at Jacobsdal.
The most casualties occurred from the 21st of March to the 31st of July 1900. This included the approximate 22 wounded men at Karee Siding on the 29th March. These actions were responsible for most of the wounded men of the 2nd Battalion. Looking at the other entries recorded there were numerous locations where soldiers died from disease, missing in action or taken prisoner. After these dates there were minor skirmishes around Frederickstaad, Klerksdorp and Kalfontein. However, the wounded men seem to be from the 8th Mounted Infantry (Cheshire)regiment. In my humble opinion if 6047 L/Corporal Skeels was wounded? I think it may have been between March to August 1900. He may have been wounded or returned medically unfit due to illness or disease. He was in hospital back in England as per the 1901 census, which was recorded on the 31st March. If he was attached to the mounted Infantry, he may have sustained his injuries/ illnesses after the major engagements above. Apologies for not providing a clear cut answer. However, a few pointers above for you to research and consider.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds