Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Please Help! - Joseph Alexander/Starkey, 4th Battalion Cheshire Militia 1 year 10 months ago #83494

• Cheshire1900
  • Cheshire1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello David,

Thanks for the reply.

I knew there was a slim chance of finding out more about him but your information has been helpful!

Is there any reason why 4417 G Starkey does not have any service records? Or are they just yet to be discovered?

Also is it possible that Joseph as a militia-man may have signed up with one of the Cheshire Company's(21st, 22nd, 2nd Battalion) of the Imperial Yeomanry?

I find it very strange that his death certificate lists him as late of the 4th battalion, but I am starting to wonder whether or not that was the unit he served with in South Africa. His gravestone clearly states he died due to illness contracted during the South African War and I just assumed he was in a unit from Cheshire going by his death certificate.

Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places. This mystery gets more interesting as well as frustrating the further down the rabbit hole I go!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please Help! - Joseph Alexander/Starkey, 4th Battalion Cheshire Militia 1 year 10 months ago #83495

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Cheshire 1900.

I have had a good trawl through Ancestry and unfortunately could not find anything you didn't already know. I used all 3 surnames provided to no avail. I also went down the Imperial Yeomanry route and found quite a few Alexander's, Faulkner's and Starkey's, even a couple who were Chester recruits, but no match for your man.
The G Starkey 4417 4th Cheshire regiment is the closest match in my opinion. The medal roll suggests he was still alive for his QSA but on the KSA medal roll dated 1903 Macclesfield . 4417 Private G Starkey is recorded as deceased. This may explain why his service record is no longer available.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, Cheshire1900

Please Help! - Joseph Alexander/Starkey, 4th Battalion Cheshire Militia 1 year 10 months ago #83497

• Cheshire1900
  • Cheshire1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Many thanks Dave,

That could indeed be Joseph!

I will see what I can dig up on Private G.Starkey.

Please Help! - Joseph Alexander/Starkey, 4th Battalion Cheshire Militia 1 year 10 months ago #83507

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Cheshire1900.

Re service papers, there are two main reasons why they are not present. First, men who died had their papers destroyed in a War Office administrative process. Second, blitz bombing in the Second World War destroyed many of the papers by fire. You can still sometimes see burn marks on those that just survived this disaster.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds