TOPIC:

Cape Town - Town Guards 2 years 3 months ago #80998

• kimbo1962
  • kimbo1962's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Arthur
We were thinking the same that maybe it was Kitcheners horse. The family story is that he was on his way to India from the UK and the troop ship was diverted from Malta to South Africa. The only ship I could find record of being diverted was the SS Dunera.
Below is a link to the Town Guard (28 Plein Street) not sure what they actually did. He married on 25th December 1903 strangely enough in Dutch Reformed, he was catholic, I am guessing because his daughter was born in 1902 and his wife not catholic. On his wedding certificate it lists his profession as “Conductor” not sure if he literally was a musical conductor, a bus conductor or a military conductor.
I think your line of thinking is correct. I have been trying to find out info if perhaps he became part of “Dukes”. I have a pic of him and he certainly does look like a sergeant lol. Whatever he did at Wynberg Camp, to have been allowed to live in 42 Married Quarters, Wynberg camp, with 9 children he must have held some sort of rank.
Link below to his Town Guard unit. His name is there JH Hayes.
www.ancestors.co.za/database/townguard-view.php?q=1924
Thanks Arthur for taking time to help me solve this mystery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Town - Town Guards 2 years 3 months ago #81011

• JSharples
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh thank you so much for the link. As for when he went out there and why - that remains a mystery. I do know he went out first - possibly in 1899 - my father (who was born in 1894) and his mother, Sarah, followed him in 1901. I know there is a letter somewhere that mentions them missing him and hoping to see him soon. So I don't think he went out to join up - I think he might have gone perhaps for the climate - I have no idea how/why he died so young (47). But my father had heart problems that started in his early 50s - thanks to more modern medicine he survived several heart attacks and died at 82. So possibly it was a heart attack. I am truly grateful for your help with this. How I wish I could go out there!

Cape Town - Town Guards 2 years 3 months ago #81030

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
You're welcome, Kim.

In the army, a Conductor was a senior non-commissioned officer in charge of a 'train' of wagons, transporting supplies and equipment. AFAIK, the rank was used only in the Army Ordnance Corps and the Army Service Corps. So, if that's what he meant when he gave that as his occupation at the time of the wedding, he may have joined one of those two branches of the British Army after the war.

Any idea what medals he received?
Regards
Arthur

Cape Town - Town Guards 2 years 3 months ago #81031

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
You're welcome.

Health may well have been the reason why he went to the Cape. His death notice says he died of bronchiectatis and asthma, and had been ill for 12 months, so he may have had respiratory problems for many years, and hoped the Cape climate would be healthier for him.
Regards
Arthur

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds