Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77871

• DaveMurphy
  • DaveMurphy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I am researching my Great-Grandfather John Thomas Ball, who while serving with the 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment, appears to have been seconded to the staff of Major General Charles Edmond Knox who I believe was in Command of the 13th Brigade. It appears on his request for Commissioning as Quartermaster of the 16th Bn Manchesters in WW1 the following statement "acted as QMS for Gen Knox throughout Africa campaign".

I have his QSA and KSA medals with the following clasps:
South Africa 1901
South Africa 1902

Transvaal
Witterbergen
Driefontein
Paardeburg
Relief of Kimberley

Are there any of the wonderful sleuths here able to point me to further information to expand on his service? I know little more than the descriptions of these individual actions.

Kind regards,

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77873

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Dave,

You are in luck.

There are service papers available for 3669 John Ball. He was born in 1874 in Salford.

The papers are available for free at the National Archives or at cost from Find My Past. They should give you a good view of his military career.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveMurphy

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77875

• DaveMurphy
  • DaveMurphy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks David,

I have about as much of JT Ball’s service record that I think I can get my hands on. His pension record has little detail however on his service in South Africa (I think probably due to his being away from his parent unit), but I do have plenty of details from both before and during WW1.

If there is more available from the team here, in terms of the movements of Knox’s staff/retinue I would be very grateful.

Warm regards,

Dave

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77876

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Dave,

There are no pages on the site dedicated to the 13th Brigade but if you search the site for the exact phrase '13th Brigade' there are 48 matches. It will take some time but you should be able to piece together a good overview of their movements.

This is a good place to start: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...0-east-kent-regiment

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77877

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Dave
Welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing you have all your G Grandfather's medal rolls?
Ancestry has 4 rolls under JF Ball 3669 2nd battalion Manchester Regiment.
Medal roll WO100/ 299 pertaining to Major General Knox staff has your G Grandfather as a Provost Sergeant. 13th Brigade. Roll date 23rd July 1901 Bloemfontein.
Interestingly, I couldn't find a clasp entitlement for Wittebergen on rolls.
However, it is documented on his attestation papers.

Regards
Dave F
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Sgt John Thomas Ball - Manchesters / Maj Gen C E Knox 2 years 7 months ago #77885

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Dave....... Welcome....... At least I know where he may have been on one day......

Wednesday June 27, 1900

Had to draw rations today. Mess orderly for today. Four companies formed in camp to put up a defence in case camp is attacked. Camp is inspected by Gen. Knox and staff. Man of our company died of enteric. I go to bed at 9. ( 7865 Pte. J. W. Duhamel, Norval Spruit, Enteric Fever )

From Lynn Diary

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds