Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72084

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Well done, Pete. I was beating my head trying to work out how he could have been in the Essex Regiment, then got into the Bedfords.

Alison, Hertfordshire Archives has reopened, and if you contact them with 3584 Private H. Young's date of death in South Africa, perhaps someone there would be prepared to look in the local newspaper records for a report of his death. As he was killed in action, the notification of his death should hopefully have reached Hatfield within a week of his death date.
www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/librar...d-local-studies.aspx

Archives has the Hertfordshire Mercury on microfilm, and it looks to have been a weekly paper, so hopefully one of the issues of Saturday, 24th November and 1st December, 1900 would include him (the 17th November, the day after his death, would be too soon).
www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media-library/d...-in-the-archives.pdf

Or, if you prefer, I'll contact them myself for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72093

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
Palmer shows "3548 Pte. H.Young" of 2 Bedfords as Killed in action at Thaba N'chu on 16/11/1900. Note reversal of number in Palmer.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72094

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
So he is fifteen years and six months old in May 1888 and was a butcher for a Mr Wagg in Hatfield upon joining the 3rd South Lancashire Regiment, before buying his discharge on the 7th of February 1890, I would think it is the same man notwithstanding the lack of next of kin in WO96, but, I would still want to hear further of Allison's family.

Volunteer wrote: Alison has made an error in stating that in 1891 census Herbert Young was in barracks with the Essex Regiment. It is the Bedfordshire Regt.
Henry Wellspring is a few names above Herbert Young on that census page. He enlisted as number 3589 Bedfordshire Regt. in 1890.
H. Young 3584 Bedfordshire Regt. who was kia in 1900 (from medal roll) is no doubt Herbert Young, born Hatfield 1872/3
It looks likely that this is the same Herbert Young that had a brief membership of the Militia in NW England in 1888 aged 15 years.
Pete

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72095

• Frank Kelley
Potentially just match his next of kin and you may have your man.

BereniceUK wrote: Well done, Pete. I was beating my head trying to work out how he could have been in the Essex Regiment, then got into the Bedfords.

Alison, Hertfordshire Archives has reopened, and if you contact them with 3584 Private H. Young's date of death in South Africa, perhaps someone there would be prepared to look in the local newspaper records for a report of his death. As he was killed in action, the notification of his death should hopefully have reached Hatfield within a week of his death date.
www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/librar...d-local-studies.aspx

Archives has the Hertfordshire Mercury on microfilm, and it looks to have been a weekly paper, so hopefully one of the issues of Saturday, 24th November and 1st December, 1900 would include him (the 17th November, the day after his death, would be too soon).
www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media-library/d...-in-the-archives.pdf

Or, if you prefer, I'll contact them myself for you.

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72096

• Frank Kelley
Watt, confirms he was subsequently buried at Thaba Nchu with another one hundred and twenty two Imperial soldiers, forty two of them, including Herbert Young had been killed in action, I would think his original grave remains extant.

LinneyI wrote: Berenice
Palmer shows "3548 Pte. H.Young" of 2 Bedfords as Killed in action at Thaba N'chu on 16/11/1900. Note reversal of number in Palmer.
Regards
IL.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Herbert Young, Essex Regiment 3 years 6 months ago #72097

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
Herbert Young also on the roll of 1st Bedfordshire Regt. for Indian General Service Medal with clasp Relief of Chitral.

Pete

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds