Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68763

• Roryvanas
  • Roryvanas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Evening, im trying to find any information about my great great grandfather Capt J. Murison. I recently came in possession of his Victoria Regina Et Imperatrix medial. Unfortunately I do not have any information about him & his military connection.

Is anyone on the forum able to help & shed some light?

Kind Regards
Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68765

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello Rory,

I have some very basic info found during my searches in the Cape Archives. This is a glimpse at his service and what I have on record at this time:

MURISON James. Lieutenant, Cape Town Volunteer Rifles (Duke of Edinburgh’s Own) 15.4.78. Acting Captain, Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Volunteer Rifles, Gun War (Basuto War) 1880-81. He resigned his commission effective 27.09.1882. I believe that the medal you make reference to is the Cape of Good Hope General Service medal with the Basutoland Clasp.

Captain Murison is mentioned in the book "The Dukes" written by Niel Orpen. An account of the actions at Kalabani and Lerothodi's Village during the later part of October 1880 can be found on page 20 through 22, Murison is mentioned twice. On the 22/09/1880 he was one of 9 Officers and 290 men of the Dukes that were placed on active service. They left Cape Town on the 25/09/1880 aboard the Steamer Melrose destined for East London. They then began the long march arriving at the Basutoland border on the 16/10/1880.

It appears that he passed away in 1885 (although this is not confirmed yet as being the same man).There is a Death Notice in Cape Town for one James Murison who died in 1885 and there are also many entries that would indicate that he could have been a merchant. I have also attached a copy of the 1878 Green Point voters role which shows his name and address as well as,I presume, a son.

DEPOT KAB
SOURCE MOOC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 6/9/224
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 1614
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MURISON, JAMES. DEATH NOTICE.
STARTING 18850000
ENDING 18850000

I don't have much more at this time as the Archives are closed to the public.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GFG12

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68766

• capepolice
Hi Rory,

Attached is the Colonial Force Order dated 18/11/1882 which shows the resignation of his commission.

Regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roryvanas

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68772

• Roryvanas
  • Roryvanas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow, thank you Adrian for the information. Unfortunately my grandfather did not speak much about his father & grandfather for some reason and alas he has pasted for some time now. How would I be able to find out more about him? especially his military career as my father was a colonel in the SADF and awarded the Southern Cross Medal. Therefore my family seems to have a strong military past.

Kind Regards
Rory

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68773

• capepolice
Hello Rory,

There is not that much more that I have at the moment. A good read would be the book about the Dukes that I mentioned in the earlier post, this will give you a good understanding as to what he and the Dukes got up to in the Basutoland Campaign.

Do any of the following names ring a bell with you?

Harold Van Renen Murison
Barbara Jacoba Murison
James Jacobus Murison
Aletta Barbara Murison
Clodagh Barry Murison

Regards
Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roryvanas

Information about Capt J. Murison D.E.O.V.R 3 years 11 months ago #68776

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 107
Murison is or was a well-known name in the old Cape Colony. There were two James Murisons : James senior (1816-85) and his son James jr (1844-1910). According to the History of the City Club (later the Cape Town Club), it was James jr who was the officer in the Dukes.

James snr was a partner in the firm of Anderson & Murison, general merchants; a member of the Table Bay Harbour Board; president of the Caledonian Society; director of the SA Mutual Life Assurance Society [Old Mutual]; Member of the Legislative Council [1873-85]. "One of the first to build a residence in Sea Point, was an imposing figure, prominent citizen and generally respected. He left a fortune of £128 000. The Murison Memorial Organ in St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Somerset Road [Cape Town] was presented by his family after his death" The club history describes him as "captain" - this may have been a naval or merchant naval rank.

James jr was also a partner in the firm, and had a commission in the DEOVR. He lived at Hopemill in the Gardens.
Regards
Arthur

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.436 seconds