Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62280

• spooner
  • spooner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
In Find My Past, in the British Amy Service Records 1760-1915, I found my grandfather's attestation/service record. He enlisted under his foster family surname (Earnest (or Ernest) Edward Drew) but his birth certificate is his legal name, Ernest Edward Cock ("alias Ernest Cock" is scrawled at the top, obviously afterwards at some point). My questions are:
1. Is is possible to determine where he served in SA - the record only has 2 entries "RHA, Excess nos., Posted, Dr (meaning driver), 22 Dec. 1899 and RHA, "A" Dep, Posted, Dr, 22 July 1901
2. the last item on this page says "Discharged at ILLEGIBLE" - can anyone read that word, please?
3. scrawled at the bottom in pencil "for correct record see original" --- WHAT and WHERE could the 'original' be??
I've attached the image of this page.
THANK YOU for your kind review and assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62281

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 141
Discharged at Woolwich

Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: spooner

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62282

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
To try and work where he was in SA you need to consult the medal rolls on Ancestry to see which units he served with and which clasps he was awarded on his Queen's South Africa medal.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62283

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 141
His number is 68524
Appears to have a 5 clasp QSA
1 Pr Maxims RA

Medal roll link here
www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1686/3179...d=31794_221459-00336

Pete

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62284

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Spooner
My Royal Artillery CD roll shows 68524 Dvr. E.E.Drew of 1 Pdr Maxims as receiving the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen on his QSA medal. On the medal roll page is the marginal note "G Battery, RHA" in which he also served and a further marginal note records his alias " E.E.Cock".
Regards
IL.

Short Service - Attestation - assistance requested with meaning of note 5 years 2 months ago #62285

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
He served in SA until August 1901, so there should be another medal roll entry for the "South Africa 1901" clasp. I can't find it.

There is an entry under "E Cock" on the medal distribution rolls WO100/138p20 which simply confirms 5 clasps and medal issued 18-3-1904. Unit is given as 1pdr Maxims RA.

In The Register and FmP there is an entry for Driver E Cock on the memorial in the Guildhall, King's Lynn. This memorial commemorates all who served. I will be updating this to show information for "EE Drew" as well.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.071 seconds