Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Edward Van Ryne, of Loughton, Essex - suicide on 7.6.1904 5 years 5 months ago #61173

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

LinneyI wrote: I admit to going down a false trail with the newspaper article having him as an "artilleryman". Wonder where they got that from?
Regards
IL.

I wondered if his being a blacksmith meant serving as a shoeing smith in the artillery was more likely than serving in the Manchester Regiment, but apparently not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Edward Van Ryne, of Loughton, Essex - suicide on 7.6.1904 5 years 5 months ago #61174

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, indeed he was, his name appears in the London Gazette, issue number 27282, page number 932, which was published on the 8th of February 1901, with the eight other private soldiers of the regiment, who had been brought to notice, headed by Robert Scot and James Pitts.

BereniceUK wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote: Quite a number of heroes mentioned there including the Manchester's first Victoria Cross recipients.

So can it be said that Edward Van Ryne was officially "mentioned in despatches"?

The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Edward Van Ryne, of Loughton, Essex - suicide on 7.6.1904 5 years 5 months ago #61176

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is also very interesting and a little sad to note that Edward Van Ryne appears to have been omitted from the regimental history by Colonel Wylly.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds