Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3966

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Mike,

Sadly I have not got round to that as well as I would have liked. With the ongoing research into the CP and to a lesser extent the CMR, I just dont have the time. However, with all requests for research that I have been completed to date I have listed the medals as having survived if this is the case (this info based on feedback from the families etc). Having to work for a boss doesn't help either :blink: .

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3967

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954

capepolice wrote: Hello Frank,

I remember the name and the request that "past over my desk".

If memory serves, he attested into the CP in 1898, nice pair of medals.

Regards

Adrian

Adrian,
Your memory serves you well, the first candidates paper is dated the 16th Day of December 1898!
Frank

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 1 month ago #9449

• MikeyMoose
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently came across some family info that leads me to believe "Bourke, Thomas Edward - Corporal" is my great grand-uncle (brother of my great grandfather)... Thanks for your research!

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 1 month ago #9459

• Frank Kelley
Good morning and welcome to this forum,
Thomas Edward Bourke joined the Bechuanaland Border Police as a Trooper number 1743, this was a British corps and was recruited here in Great Britain and organised by the Colonial Office.
He served in the Matabele War in 1893 and is on their medal roll, WO100/77, being entitled to the British South Africa Companies medal for the 1893 war, his address given is "B B Police Macloutsie" so we know he was actually there and not in, say, Mafeking for example.

As far as the Jameson Raid goes, the Bechuanaland Border Police was in effect disbanded in 1895, after the Governor General of the Cape received the order to do so from the Colonial Secretary, its men and horses placed at the disposal of Cecil Rhodes, for the "Polo Tournament"

Bourke, who was shown, at that time, as being twenty five years old and unmarried, served as a Corporal in "G" Troop of Dr Jameson's Force and rode across the border into the Transvaal, in the famous attempt the seize the Rand by force, the rest, as they say, is history.
I came across your great grand uncles name a lot whilst looking at Dr Jameson quite a few years ago now.

Again Welcome, Kind regards Frank

Corporal Bourke and other NCO's of G Troop.

MikeyMoose wrote: Recently came across some family info that leads me to believe "Bourke, Thomas Edward - Corporal" is my great grand-uncle (brother of my great grandfather)... Thanks for your research!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeyMoose

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 1 month ago #9498

• Frank Kelley
Forgot to add earlier, Bourke had one of these, for your interest I show the reverse, the recipients of these were both in the Bechuanaland Border Police and both later served in Dr Jamesen's force.
The usual naming to this corps, was B B Police, though not always.
So if you happen to have his example, please do look after it, they are not common things.
Again welcome and kind regards Frank

Attachments:

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 1 month ago #9591

• Frank Kelley
I see you are in Canada, I don't get to talk about Dr Jameson very often as this is a Boer War forum, but, if you want to get in touch, please feel free to do so, anytime.
I would be delighted to hear more about your great grand uncle and his brother.
Kind regards Frank

MikeyMoose wrote: Recently came across some family info that leads me to believe "Bourke, Thomas Edward - Corporal" is my great grand-uncle (brother of my great grandfather)... Thanks for your research!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.875 seconds