Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3892

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954

Mark Wilkie wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote:

Mark Wilkie wrote: Not than many Natal Guides went on to get Belfast so that does make it an extra special one amongst the NG which are all special in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,
Yes, I think there are only 36 with the Belfast clasp, but I really should sit down with the entire FID roll and make a careful examination of who got what, I did have a very brief look the other day and saw two men of the Natal Guides on it, i.e. not on the Guides bit, so there may be more. I went to the PRO about a dozen or so years ago and had the whole FID roll copied, but I still have not looked at it properly! :( very interesting though!
Noticed your relatives years ago and just assumed they were brothers, so for me its really nice to come on here and actually talk to you!
What stories they would have been able to tell.
Very many thanks again Mark
Frank

Frank, yes, what stories they could tell. My connection to the Macfarlane family is through Walter's mother, Jessie Lee Campbell who was my 2nd great grand aunt. I've been able to find almost nothing on Walter's war service but no doubt he would have had a most interesting story to tell.

The other Macfarlane guide, Thomas John Malcolm Macfarlane CMG [Later Lt Col of the Natal Carbineers], 1st cousin of Walter, was also the husband of a 1st cousin 3x removed of mine.

Lt-Col. Thomas John Malcolm MacFarlane, C.M.G., was born on 11 July 1859 at Bushman’s River, Weenen County in Natal. He was mentioned in despatches and was created a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George for his service in the Natal Guides during the South African War (1899-1902). He received the QSA with Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith clasps.

A mining engineer, he married twice: first (1893, Natal) to Miss Agnes MacFarlane; and secondly to Katherine Jones (born Northamptonshire, England and in 1897 settled in Lydenburg, Transvaal). They had three daughters. They later lived in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (in 1930) and then (in 1936) at 34 Eighth Street, Lower Houghton, Johannesburg. He died in 1937.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,
Quite superb, I think! in the case of the other Macfarlane, to go from a civilian/honorary Sergt to L/Col CMG!
I bet you would like to go back and meet him!
I know I would!
All very interesting, if you look at any map of Natal today and then compare with a Victorian example, it appears much the same! its just so vast!
I feel the need to get out there!
Many Thanks Again
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3896

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Mark

I presume "Bushman's River, Weenen County" was the embryonic settlement of Estcourt. There is (or was) a MacFarlane Street in this town.

Regards
Brett

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3901

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45

Brett Hendey wrote: Mark

I presume "Bushman's River, Weenen County" was the embryonic settlement of Estcourt. There is (or was) a MacFarlane Street in this town.

Regards
Brett

Brett, thanks for this bit of information.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3902

• Mark Wilkie

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mark,
Quite superb, I think! in the case of the other Macfarlane, to go from a civilian/honorary Sergt to L/Col CMG!
I bet you would like to go back and meet him!
I know I would!
All very interesting, if you look at any map of Natal today and then compare with a Victorian example, it appears much the same! its just so vast!
I feel the need to get out there!
Many Thanks Again
Frank

Thanks Frank !
Yes, it would have been quite something if one was able to go back and put all these folks around a table and listened to the stories.

Thomas had a brother George James Macfarlane who had an interesting life. Thomas and George married sisters so George's wife, Maria Mary Macfarlane, was a first cousin 3x removed of mine. Here's a brief bio of George:

Lt-Col. George James MacFarlane, C.B., C.M.G, V.D., J.P., was born on 6 June 1855 in South Africa at Pietermaritzburg in Natal, and died there on 14 September 1933 at his estate of Redlands where he had lived for fifty years. He was educated at Pietermaritzburg High School and became an accountant and later a soldier, stockbroker, and politician.

George served in the Natal Carbineers and saw action in both the Zulu War (1879) and the South African War (1899-1902) during the latter he was wounded and for his services therein he was created both a Companion of the Order of the Bath and a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George in 1901.

He was elected Mayor of Pietermaritzburg and Chairman of the Provincial Council of Natal, and married (12 July 1887, Natal) Miss Maria Mary MacFarlane, with whom he had three sons.

George was the son of John Macfarlane, late RM of Natal, and attested 6/1/1878 in the Natal carbineers. He served in the Zulu War in 1878-9 as a trooper and was a member of the Dartnell Patrol out of Isandlwana. Awarded Zulu War Medal and Clasp.
Promoted Sergeant 7/6/1879, Lieutenant 1883 and was also appointed adjutant.
12/6/1886 he obtained promotion to the rank of captain, serving that regiment as adjutant from 1881 to 1889, and later (from 1889) also as major. Promoted major 11/3/1891.

Because of his increasing business commitments he retired from active duty in 1895 but on the outbreak of the Anglo-Boer War in 1899 rejoined the active list.
He was place in command of No 4 Sqn which patrolled the Blauuwbank area.
29/9/1899-9/10/1900, 19/9/1901-16/10/1901. In the war he saw action at Rietfontein (24.10.1899) and Lombardskop (30 October 1899). He held Lombardskop under some pressure with a squadron of men. Later he was besieged in Ladysmith (2/11/1899-28.2.1900) during which he was wounded, where he assisted on the staff of Sir George White. His Boer war service included Operations in Natal in 1899 including Reitfontein and Lombardskop.

For his war service he was created both a Companion of the Order of the Bath and a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George. He was raised to the rank of honorary lieutenant-colonel 30/11/1900. He received the Queen's South Africa Medal with Defence of Ladysmith clasp. He was Mayor of Maritzburg, 1898-1902; Deputy Mayor for that town, 1903-4; and was made JP in 1902. After the end (1902) of the Anglo-Boer War he was given command of the Natal Carbineers, a post he held until 1906 when he was placed on the reserve. He also received the Volunteer Decoration in 1903. He was taken off strength 1/9/1911.

Colonel MacFarlane had a keen interest in cricket, football and shooting, and possessed a fine collection of SA big game. He was a member of the Victorial Club. He died in Natal in 1933.

His son Capt Brian Neil Macfarlane MC followed his father into the Natal Carbineers. Attested 1/7/1914, B Sqn, Natal Carbineers. Trooper F473. Served in German South West Africa 21/8/1914-23/7/1915.

Commisioned into C Company, 2nd South African Infantry as a 2nd Lieut and served in France and Belgium. He was awarded the Military Cross for his gallantry in action on 9 July 1916 at Trones Wood during the advance on Delville Wood.

"Lieut [Brian Neil] MacFarlane had taken over the bombing post in Longueval Alley. On the 9th [July 1916] he carried out a reconnaissance along the trench to a point 100 yards from Trones, where they came under heavy rifle fire. One man was killed whereas Lieut MacFarlane and three others were badly wounded. Although suffering from a badly fractured leg, he continued to control his party and ordered the men to retire to cover and leave the wounded where they lay. Later on he and the other wounded managed to crawl back some distance to where they were picked up and brought in. He was later to receive the MC."

Delville Wood by Ian Uys

After the 11 November 1918 Armistace Brian went on to serve with British forces in the Russian Civil War. He was finally discharged on 31/12/1919.

Brian married twice; first to Marguerite Lovell and secondly to Lilian Florence Creswell. He had a daughter, Anne by his first wife.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3912

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Dear Mark,
Very many thanks for another very interesting post and providing so much detailed information on this gallant family, I would feel very proud indeed if they were my relatives.
Thanks again,
Frank

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3918

• Mark Wilkie
Frank, you're too kind. My connection is only through marriage, though. One does wonder how much of the family's success was due to connections and the positions they held. Also, the Macfarlanes made some poor calls where the results still probably impact on the people of the region today. Although not entirely responsible for the Langalibalele Rebellion; Shepstone probably tops the list there; John Macfarlane's handling of Langalibalele and the amaHlubi in 1873 while resident magistrate in Estcourt ultimately led to a rebellion that was a most distasteful and bloody affair. He is often described as inflexible and disciplinarian and most likely was. Colonial history is so often a two-edged sword. Hero to some and villain to others.

Cheers,

Mark

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds