Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 12 years 3 months ago #2140

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
I'm looking for information on Sergeant Walter Henry Macfarlane of the Natal Guides who was present in Ladysmith during the siege. The QSA roll for the Natal Guides shows he received the QSA with Defence of Ladysmith clasp.

Walter Henry Macfarlane was a 1st cousin 3x removed of mine. There were two men by the name Macfarlane in the Natal Guides. The other being Thomas John Malcolm Macfarlane CMG [Later Lt Col of the Natal Carbineers]. Thomas and Walter were first cousins.

Walter Henry Macfarlane was the son of the Hon. Walter Macfarlane, President of the Natal Native Commission and later Speaker of the Legislative Council of Natal and Jessie Lee Macfarlane (nee Campbell). Jessie Lee Campbell was the eldest daughter of Rev. William and Maria Campbell. William was the first Presbyterian minister in Natal.

Walter's date of birth is unknown but it was in the early 1860s. He was born in Pietermaritzburg and died in the Transvaal in 1922.

[David, I see Walter Henry Macfarlane is missing from the roll of the Natal Guides in the South African Units section]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 12 years 3 months ago #2142

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Mark,

I hope you are successful in finding out more about these family members who played an important role during the Boer War.

Thank you for the note about the omission. I will correct that.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 12 years 3 months ago #2156

• Mark Wilkie

djb wrote: Mark,

I hope you are successful in finding out more about these family members who played an important role during the Boer War.

Thank you for the note about the omission. I will correct that.

Best wishes
David

Thanks, David !
A possible idea. Perhaps a thread for people that we research that aren't included on the current forum unit lists or people that we have more info on the individual listed (with reference details).

Cheers,

Mark

Or this is what I should be using 'comments' for :unsure:?

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3800

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I was interested to read this thread and whilst looking in the South African Units section, I noticed it includes the Natal Guides and does list only 43 of them.
I have just had a quick look at the FID medal roll and I see there are some 96 men listed on it, as Natal Guides, who were eligble for the QSA.
Some very intersting men on there too, for example, Sergt G Roy, who is also shown as a Lieut serving in the Eastern Tranvaal Middleburg District Intelligence Department and another fellow called Shuttleworth, who is shown on the Natal Guides roll.
However, there is a Shuttleworth mentioned on Intelligence Department Natal District number 2 sheet (page 18 of FID roll) who appears to be the same man, in the remarks column there is a note "Imp Guides" (Imperial Guides) and has the same clasp entitlement on his QSA but his initial appears different on the Guides roll.
A superb unit and a very interesting area to research in anyway!
Frank.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3826

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Dear Mark,
I forgot to add, do you have Macfarlane's QSA?
Kind regards Frank.

Re: Natal Guides: Walter Henry Macfarlane 11 years 10 months ago #3836

• Mark Wilkie

Frank Kelley wrote: Dear Mark,
I forgot to add, do you have Macfarlane's QSA?
Kind regards Frank.

Frank, wish I could answer yes but can't. I don't have any of the Macfarlane family medals.

Cheers,

Mark

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.898 seconds