• Page:

TOPIC:

George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 2 weeks ago #144

• Grammatj8
  • Grammatj8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am looking for some information about George McEwan Deuchars. He lived in Dundee Scotland, moved to Canada in l905 and joined our armed Forces in 1915. However on his papers he says he was in the R.A.M.C. for 12 years. I am wondering since I can't find this information, if someone can help me here. Thanks a million. HIs date of birth is 1883,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 2 weeks ago #145

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello Grammatj8.....

If he was born in 1883 and came to Canada in 1905 he would have been 23 years old and another 10 years to 1915 making him 33..... R.A.M.C. is the Royal Army Medical Corps and the Militia Medical Service and redesignated Canadian Medical Corps which was founded in 1904..... If he was in Canada how could he have served in the R.A.M.C.?

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 2 weeks ago #146

• Grammatj8
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I am looking at his attestion papers and a question on the paper asks if he had ever served in the military and he answered yes 12 years with the R.A.M.C. - that is what I am going by. If I am wrong, on what RAMC means, please feel free to let me know. Thanks

Re: George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 2 weeks ago #147

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Yes I also looked at his papers and R.A.M.C. is Royal Army Medical Corps..... Not saying much but in those days some people would stretch the truth about age, experience, etc. so they could join up..... Of course I am not saying that this is the case......:) The only other way to check is to get his service records from the National Archives in the UK..... But if he came to Canada in 1905 when did he do the service?..... The other thing is the man who filled out the form mad an error......:unsure:

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 2 weeks ago #148

• Grammatj8
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I'm with you, if he came to Canada in 1905, he was 22 years old. There is no way, he was in the R.A.M.C. for 12 years. Maybe 2 years, but that is it. To get his service records from the National Archives in the UK, we would need to make sure he really did do the service in U.K. How would I go about doing that? I'm stumped. Any advice?

Re: George McEwan Deuchars 13 years 1 week ago #149

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello

Findmypast.co.uk have the complete series of Victorian discharge papers for the British Army.

There is a George Deuchars born 1883 Dundee. He served 12 years 1901-1913 in the RAMC. In 1904 he transferred to the Section A Reserves. In 1905 he was downgraded to Section B for leaving the "quitting the UK without permission".

No service in the Anglo-Boer War.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds