• Page:

TOPIC:

John Morgan 9 years 9 months ago #21407

• charlottegmunn
  • charlottegmunn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
does that mean it couldn't have happened then? Im going on what family members have said, they gave me a birth certificate and said he died in the boer war, I know which family member he was married to, but thats all.

Thank you so much for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Morgan 9 years 9 months ago #21408

• charlottegmunn
  • charlottegmunn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Ive just looked at the address where he was living when he married my great-great grandma, and it was an address in Bilston, would there be a list in a church there?

John Morgan 9 years 9 months ago #21484

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Charlotte

Unfortunately war memorials are not reliable, the fact he is not listed on a memorial in Wolverhampton doesn't prove he wasn't living there or had family there.

The problem with fatal casualties of the Victorian era is that the service papers were destroyed (some have survived). You could try both FindmyPast and Ancestry as you have a date of birth to narrow the "John Morgan"s down.

I have only managed to get a first name for one of the handful of "J Morgan"s who died in the war: L-Cpl 1446 John Morgan 2nd bn South Wales Borderers - commemorated on the Welsh National Memorial, Cardiff and the rgtl memorial Brecon.

It is possible your John Morgan died around the time of the war and not actually during the war. Try the Soldier's Wills and also Army deaths on FindmyPast.

Good luck!

Meurig (Jones and descended from Morgans!)
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds