• Page:

TOPIC:

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84555

• Hstubbings
  • Hstubbings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Pior to the main Paardeberg battle a squadron of Kitcheners Horse were left by General French at Blaauboschpan on 13 Feb 1900 about 8 miles NE of Dekielsdrift to protect the wells there until the Infantry should arrive. The Infantry went a different route and a large force of Boers arrived and compelled their surrender after they had held out in a farmhouse for two days. There were some casualties including Lieuts Carstens and Buchanan who were killed. Does any body have more information about this action ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84560

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Hstubbings
Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you have already accessed Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" re KH. The Official History Vol.2 pages 25 and 28 mentions the location but not much else.
The Palmer Casualty roll gives a reference to Lt. Buchanan and I can post a pic of that entry if it helps. What is your particular interest; Kitchener's Horse or the location?
Regards
IL. .

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84596

• Hstubbings
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL Thanks for your response. My particular interest is KH and would appreciate a pic of the Palmer Casualty roll. Any other material on KH would be much appreciated
Henry

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84602

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Henry
Here is the cut from Palmer regarding Buchanan. It gives a bit of bio material as you can see. Note the date of Lt. Buchanan's demise. Palmer has very little info on Lt. Carstens.

There are a number of references regarding the doings of KH in the Official History (Maurice) and similarly in Amery Vol.III (Times History). Both can be accessed on this site by looking up the "Books" section in the panel to the left of the screen. I seem to recall that Creswicke (South Africa and the Transvaal War) also mentioned the activities of KH - but I am blowed if I can find it. Creswicke is also accessible via the "Books" section. The SAFF Casualty list supplies that information and KH's medal rolls can be viewed via the UKNA on this site as well. A bit of digging to do - but hoping to find little gems is what I think the game is all about.
Over the years I have come across a handful of KH QSAs and as Colonial Horse medals were reasonably scarce over here, I developed an interest in them. The eventual reprint of Stirling (The Colonials in South Africa" was a real boon at the time and still remains so.
I leave you to your digging around and trust you will find what you are looking for.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84606

• Hstubbings
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you IL this is very useful. My maternal grandfather was Trooper SS Hewitt of KH and I have his QSA medal with bars for Relief of Kimberley , Paardeberg and Driefontein. He was part of the squadron involved in the defence of the convoy who after the battle became Lord Roberts bodyguard on their advance through the OFS I wonder whether any photographs exist of the bodyguard

Blaauboschpan 1 year 9 months ago #84607

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Henry
Not sure if you have this information?
Enclosed medal roll for 3636 S S Hewitt Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles for your records. A possible Cape Colony clasp awarded to your maternal Grandfather also.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds