Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42885

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
It's all well and good simply listing here old place names but what about finding those old place names in present day South Africa?

I don't know about you but I'm getting very frustrated not being able to find the exact present day locations of those old place names.

I'm thinking I might try constructing some kind of map using Google Maps as a platform.

I have already searched Google Earth Community forums for an existing map like this showing Boer War locations but found almost nothing of use in respect of the Boer War - just a few maps on Blockhouse system.

I know it's a big ask..... Might start by gathering together all place names referred to the the major Boer War publications. Then it's a big job tracing the present day names and locations.

Once constructed the Google Map will show ALL major Boer War locations including fine detail of battle fields.

I'd be happy to put the link on my website kentfallen.com and I 'm sure the owners of this excellent site might agree to display it as a sticky....

For those of you interested, the reason I sought out this excellent Boer War forum was the fact I'm starting to research the movements of my Gt Grandfather during the Boer War (Pte 5819/5816 William Charles CLARK, 2nd Buffs (East Kent Regiment)).

I intend to locate and map his movements during the war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42893

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello
I live in the Free State and would welcome the opportunity to co-operate with you on your project of old names of places and battlefield locations.
Let me know whether Pte Clark EK Rgt moved with Gen 'Bobs' Roberts's army from Bloemfontein northwards thru the Free State?
regards :)
Evyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOX500

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42894

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello

With my late father we published a gazetteer for the war: A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902
HM & MGM Jones, Military Press, 1999 with 2,348 entries. These include map references. The book is out of print, currently the information is available by looking at casualties on FindmyPast or my website

I have since added over 300 more entries, and am looking at converting the map references into lat & long so they can located using Google maps.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42897

• BOX500
That's an encouraging response, quick too....

My idea is quite simple -

1. Gather together ALL old place names.
2. Convert to new place names.
3. Locate exact positions on Google Maps.
4. Plot these locations by their old names on the map.

The map to include things such as small things such as railway stations, drifts where the armies crossed rivers etc and strategic positions such as hills and camps etc.

I'd like to include Boer positions and movements as well as the British and Commonwealth positions and movements. This might be difficult and it may be a better idea to construct a map for each side? I'm sure many users of this site have a direct interest in the Boers not just the Brits. Bearing in mind we are now all friends and allies, it seems only right they are included.

I assume Google Maps is the best platform to use as it's free. I think Google Earth can also be used for same purpose.

Not only can you use simple map pins, you can add finer detail by using different coloured lines (straight as well as tracking lines which are used to mark routes etc).

Of course once this has been completed it might be possible to construct a Google Map for each major battle.

I'm convinced this kind of map would be extremely popular and helpful to those who seek to establish the movements of a particular person or unit.

To be perfectly frank I'm surprised it hasn't already been done by someone. I searched the Google Maps Community fully expecting to find a similar map.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42898

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
That does sound a very good idea. With coordinates for places, Google maps can be embedded in the pages of this and many other sites.

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/to...ard?showall=&start=1
Dr David Biggins

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42899

• BOX500

FSburgher wrote: Hello
I live in the Free State and would welcome the opportunity to co-operate with you on your project of old names of places and battlefield locations.
Let me know whether Pte Clark EK Rgt moved with Gen 'Bobs' Roberts's army from Bloemfontein northwards thru the Free State?
regards :)
Evyn

Private 5816/5819 William Charles CLARK (CLARKE), 2nd Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

Note his QSA medal lists 5819 CLARK whereas his KSA lists 5816 CLARKE (work that one out)???? Did he get given someones else's medal and that person got his??????? Or, was it just a mess up.

19th Brigade (Knox), 6th Infantry Division (Kelly-Kenny).

My Great Grandfather joined the British Army aged only 16. He came from Woolwich in South London. At the time The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) (formerly the 3rd line regiment) were recruiting in this area of what was still then within Kent (it's now Greater London). He enlisted into the East Kent Regiment and completed his training in Howe Barracks Canterbury which was The Buffs depot. He sailed on the Gaika in 1900 from Southampton to Capetown.

His QSA medal has the following clasps -

Relief of Kimberley
Driefontien
Transvaal
Paardeberg

I believe he served in the Mounted Infantry Company of 2 Buffs for a while.

The family were told he saw many hot engagements during the Boer War along the Modder River. This includes Poplar Grove.

When the 6th Division was withdrawn from the Modder River area, apparently my Grandfather continued to serve with the 2nd Buffs Mounted Infantry Company and was present at Battle of Bakenlaagte. My grandfather (his son) once told me that his father was close by Lt Col Benson when he fell in action and that my grandfather lost his best mate that same day.

I believe my Gt Grandfather was wounded at some stage and then reported missing?

He returned to Dover in Kent in 1902 with his battalion.

In the Great War (1914-1919) he served with 3rd battalion, The Buffs at the Citidel in Dover where he lived with my Gt Grandmother. He spent the war training drafts and ended up as a Sergeant.

By the time he died in the 1950's aged only 67 or so, he was absolutely sick of war. Apparently, according to the family he felt very bad about taking lives on many occasions during the Boer War. He also lost many mates to Enteric Fever. I think he did well to survive this time because The Buffs were heavily engaged along the Modder for a sustained period and more men fell with disease than fell in action.

One last memory he recorded was a long long march under terrible conditions where the whole battalion was almost starving and had little water. I think this may refer to the Watervaal Drift debacle where the British lost many wagons when the camp was attacked. This left Kelly-Kenny's 6th Division devoid of supplies and water carts.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds