Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18599

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
This PDF contains an interesting history of the Allerton Laboratory

www.natalia.org.za/Files/34/Natalia%2034%20pp62-69%20C.pdf
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18608

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
Looks like these vets lived very interesting lives. Pity that Kearney's medal was never claimed - it would have given us all something to search for. Very interesting article on the Allerton laboratory - I guess that this is the same as the Natal laboratory where Potter worked.
Regards
Mike

Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18623

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2158
Mike

"Allerton" is the Provincial Veterinary Research Station situated 200 feet from where I sit.

When you next visit my office I'll point it out to you as they still exist. For all we know they might even have old staff records...

Regards

Rory

Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18625

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Mike,

I believe that Rory might be right about the staff records. I installed various gas lines in their labs a few years back and whilst there had a walk around the place. I was told that they did look after horses etc there back in the ABW days.

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18631

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
I think maybe a trip to Maritzburg and the Allerton laboratory is in order. As you say, there may be old staff records - one can always hope !
Have now finished reading Watkins-Pitchford's book. Only one other reference to Harry Potter , "Potter keeps up bravely and is useful and happy in this sphere as in the Laboratory. I thought that I was going to lose him , though , one rainy night. He had complained of feeling unwell during the day, and as the evening advanced, he rapidly became worse. I found him lying absolutely helpless , almost insensible , in the drenching rain outside the tent, with his lantern blown out by the high wind. It was with difficulty that I pulled him in , and dried him, and got him into bed, where a hypodernic of morphia eased him of his pain and got him to sleep. He was down with what we know as'" fly-sickness" for want of a better name, and his trouble was due to the dreadful swarms of flies which worry us all day, settling on the food so as to blacken it, if left uncovered in a moment or two. But since this illness he has remained healthy , and has been of the greatest service to me in many ways, being always, as usual, helpful and obliging. In fact , since two of my staff are in hospital I could not manage very well without him as he makes himself helpful in many little ways outside his province of Dispensary Sergeant "

Will the real Harry Potter please stand up ? 10 years 1 month ago #18644

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Mike,

That's a good mention for Potter and a shame there is only one of those. A hypodermic of morphine? I imagine that would sooth most ailments!
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds